Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have attached a .pdf file with the mod instructions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
i installed mine about the same way ,but i put my power wire on the off/run switch ,the reason for this i can run lights,winch,radio with out running fuel pump

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My pump is still holding up fine. The pump on my brute spikes at 8psi when the needles stop flow. I have had a couple of times where it overflowed gas out the vent tube if I was stopped on the side of a hill. I have lived with it because it runs so well and it has only happened a couple times in a year. I just bought one for a friend's brute and it only spikes at 4psi. I will be checking the pressure on these pumps before installing from now on. I will also be replacing mine with one that is set at a lower pressure. If anyone knows of a way to adjust the pressure on the 42s pump, I would appreciate the info.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
You should be able to find an adjustable dial fuel pressure regulator. Click on John's fuel pump mod sticky on his page. I believe he mentioned trying one in there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe I just have a pump that is producing more pressure than it should. I am going to buy another and check the pressure. Like I said, the brute runs great, just noticed that the pressure from my pump is higher than the one I am installing on my friend's. I don't think a regulator will help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John, what do you think about connecting the pump to the kill switch wire? The y/r wire is very small where it connects to the CDI.

·
Registered
37 Posts
what is everyone using for an adjustable fuel pressure regualtor? . . .

my pump is blowing past the seats

What PSI should I get 3-4 psi?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have a MR Gasket Regulator on mine

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I have had this happen a couple of times on my Brute. I have found that the pumps seem to vary a little in pressure. I have a cheap little vaccuum/pressure guage that I simply plug onto the outlet of the pump now before installing. The pump I was having problems with shows 8psi. The other three pumps I have bought show anywhere from 3-4psi. I have not seen a problem with any of the pumps showing the lower pressure. I believe that the 12s pump occasionally gets packaged as a 42s, but this is just a guess.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I have had this happen a couple of times on my Brute. I have found that the pumps seem to vary a little in pressure. I have a cheap little vaccuum/pressure guage that I simply plug onto the outlet of the pump now before installing. The pump I was having problems with shows 8psi. The other three pumps I have bought show anywhere from 3-4psi. I have not seen a problem with any of the pumps showing the lower pressure. I believe that the 12s pump occasionally gets packaged as a 42s, but this is just a guess.
Another update, I have finally taken the time to replace the pump on MY brute again. I tested the new 42s pump and found that it also only shows about 3psi. I took the pump off that was showing 8psi. I am having no more problems with fuel pushing the needles open. My fuel levels were always high with the 8psi pump and would occasionaly flood it out on side hills.
With this being said, I would HIGHLY recommend checking the pressure on the pump before installing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks

Wanted to thank you guys for this valuable info (~$450 actually). I have an 2002 650 Prairie and after rebuilding the carb, I finally figured out the fuel pump was bad. Then after checking the price for a new pump (ridiculous $490+), I found this site and this post. I drove up to advanced auto parts and found the pump. I did do a few things different. I put the pump in the same spot as the old one, I simply slid the hose up on the existing pipe and was able to fit the new pump in to the old pump's spot. I cut the wires off the old pump and then used butt connectors and connected to the new pump, used heat shrink connectors, then double the heat shrink on top of that (I was a little concerned of getting a spark). Total time including the 15 min round trip to get the pump was just under 2 hours. Great information and tips, thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Two notes, for those in the future who attempt the fix in the way that I did.
1. While you have the pump assembly out, replace the little piece of hose between the pump and the existing pipe. (Otherwise, you will likely have to tear it all apart very soon, to replace it anyway.) :rolleyes:
2. Also take a good look inside your tank, drain it. I was actually glad I had to tear back into it. I had my son helping and he dropped the filter back into the tank. He stuck his hands in to retrieve it and said, "is all the pieces of plastic suppose to be in here???". I'm not real sure what is was from, but there were a lot of black pieces of plastic, all shapes and sizes, just waiting to be sucked up into the newly rebuilt carbs.

Just waiting on a 2WD 4WD actuator now. Hoping to have the beast back to life this weekend, it's been a long time... 3+ years!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
How about trying the Mr. Gasket 12s. It is rated at 35 GPH and the 42s is rated ate 42 GPH. Has anyone tried the 12s? Maybe I will try it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
dman66
Kawasaki ATV Forum
KawieRiders.com is the largest Kawasaki ATV owner's forum with information for the Kawasaki KFX700, Brute Force, Prairie, Bayou, Mojave, Lakota and older model Kawasaki ATV's!
Full Forum Listing