Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new on here as of 30 min ago. Here's my issue. I have a 2003 bayou 300 4x4. New starter, fully
Charged battery. Everything gets power. Electric start turns over engine but not fire it up. Cranks right up with the pull start! Any suggestions to what the problem may be or what to look into?! I've gone over the atv numerous times and I'm stumped. Next step is taking it in... Help!!!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
It might sound stupid, but try opening the lash on the intake valve a little. Brutes are bad for this, and my neighbors bayou 300 did the same way once, as well as a yamaha breeze 125 I once owned. The valve lash gets too tight over time, letting the valve stay open just enough for compression to drop to the point that it won't crank. Pulling the rope turns the engine faster than the starter, causing the compression release on the cams to fall in, putting it back high enough to start.

Bad when it's cold, then starts fine when the motors warmed up?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm new on here as of 30 min ago. Here's my issue. I have a 2003 bayou 300 4x4. New starter, fully
Charged battery. Everything gets power. Electric start turns over engine but not fire it up. Cranks right up with the pull start! Any suggestions to what the problem may be or what to look into?! I've gone over the atv numerous times and I'm stumped. Next step is taking it in... Help!!!
Did you check to make sure you're getting spark when your hitting the starter button?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it did sputter a bit everyone once and a while even while running which may be a side effect of the possible valve issue and yes it does start right up with the pull start after riding a bit. I examined the wire from the coil to the plug and it did look worn out. In any case can you guys point me in the right direction on how to do both those checks and adjustments?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, it did sputter a bit everyone once and a while even while running which may be a side effect of the possible valve issue and yes it does start right up with the pull start after riding a bit. I examined the wire from the coil to the plug and it did look worn out. In any case can you guys point me in the right direction on how to do both those checks and adjustments?? Thanks!!
Take the plug out of the bike and put it back into the coil wire. Ground the other end of the plug to the head on the engine or any good ground for that matter. While pressing the starter button, look and see if you have spark at the plug. You should get a manual before you start adjusting your valves. It will explain exactly how to do it and give you the correct valve lash. Basically you need to remove the valve covers, bring the motor to top dead center on the compression stroke and then you can check your valve lash with the proper feeler gauge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good deal! I'll try that and see what happens. I also just went ahead and ordered a new ignition coil with wire and a new cdi. I'll try those and if all else fails I'll get a manual. Which one do you recommend?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Think about this...

As stated above it might have to do with speed that the engine turns during start up. Rotation method is the only difference. You can either pull start it or push the start button. SINCE it starts with pull and won't with starter, I would suspect that maybe your battery is not healthy enough. The start circuit while being pulled is seeing NO-LOAD battery voltage, which supplies power to the coil and then it starts. Using the starter it loads the battery and voltage is reduced by quite a bit and might not be enough for the coil to get a good spark.

You might want to use a new battery...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm just going to go ahead and get a new battery as well. I'd like to try all the easily accessible thing to replace before I tear into the engine and get technical. Lol. Afterall, for the condition I originally received it in, it could use a new everything. Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
You are right, but you need to step back and do this logically. I spent 42 years as a Maintenance Electrician. I worked with lots of people who threw parts at the problem and wasted countless dollars to fix Nuclear Submarines (1969-1979), Coal Mining Equipment (1979-1990) and equipment at Kaiser Aluminum (1990-2012). Logic is your friend. If the bike ran once you got it pull started then the coil, plugs, CDI box,wiring were all good. As I stated above low voltage has a VERY good chance of being the culprit. Hope this helps. Lots of time the easiest part to replace is not the culprit. Remember, as one of my bosses said, "Don't confuse activity, for progress." Good luck and let us know...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I couldn't agree more with what was stated above. Stop spending money on parts that may be good. If it ran fine when pull started, I could almost guarantee that the ignition system is fine. Put a volt meter on the battery while you're pressing the starter button. If the voltage drops way down, then your not getting enough juice to start the bike and either need a charge or a new battery. Pulling the plug would show this too because, you would have a very weak spark, but you may not know what is a good spark and what is not.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Most electronic ing systems have a low voltage protection system in them that shuts the system down when voltage falls below 10volts as stated above hook a multimeter to the batt when cranking with spark plug installed an see what the voltage reads

Reactions: Carrow

·
Registered
1 Posts
It might sound stupid, but try opening the lash on the intake valve a little. Brutes are bad for this, and my neighbors bayou 300 did the same way once, as well as a yamaha breeze 125 I once owned. The valve lash gets too tight over time, letting the valve stay open just enough for compression to drop to the point that it won't crank. Pulling the rope turns the engine faster than the starter, causing the compression release on the cams to fall in, putting it back high enough to start.

Bad when it's cold, then starts fine when the motors warmed up?
This sounds like the same issue I'm having on a Brute 750 2005 model. New battery doesn't crank cold but pull starts fine. Then cranks with the button after it warms up. Any link on how to do this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts