Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Bayou 220 for my children to ride. The battery will not keep a charge long after charging with charger. Checked terminals with meter and only getting 2-3 volts. Is this normal or should I check something else.

·
Registered
70 Posts
buy a manual and follow it-had the same problem a few years ago and it ended up being the rotor/flywheel-had the wrong manual and i was going in circles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bought a new battery a while back and it still didn't seem to get a proper charge. Kind of lazy when starting and now dead with no volts, maybe 2.5 when running. How would I check the stator? Think I will get a manual and see what troubleshooting tips it has. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You left out the part about the low voltage while running.

Only two things it can be, stator or rectifier.

You would check AC voltage on all three legs coming from stator at the same RPM and if all three legs are basically equal in voltage and it does not matter so much what the voltage is as long as it is voltage cause the voltage is dependent on rpm then if 12v is not coming from rectifier it is the rectifier.

You can google a service manual download and buy one for under $10 with a instant download

Todd

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used a manual from a friend for a 250 and somethings were diffrent-dont remember exactly but I ended up buying parts I didn't need. I would get the correct manual.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've worked on numerous 220s and 250s. I can't recall anything different other than displacement and physical changes, like stickers,racks,bumpers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts