Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just put machine together, was in a rollover, low hour machine , had everything on machine working, lights, brakes, shifted perfectly, ran great, boys took for short ride down road, now when i hit headlight switch, the engine dies, have to turn off key and let sit for 30 seconds or so, then will start. checked the plugs and everything looked good, if i turn on key, the dash lights go on, but if i turn on headlights with out engine running the dash goes dead and won't start till i remove key and let sit. Its our first 700 and not sure about nuances of electrical system. the only thing I can think is maybe when routed the controls w ire was stretched or connector loose, I checked the one from the starter/headlight switch and it was a little loose.I clicked it.....but same problem. is there a breaker or bad relay? I have another complete electrical system and controls, just hoping someone has idea where to start. I just finished it (or thought so) and everything worked as it should ....thanks for any help....

-J-

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Check the voltage and charging system. If turning on the light makes the voltage fall below like 10.5 volts, the coils won't charge and it will die. Just sitting there it should show between 12.5 and just under 13 and running just over 14 volts. Also check the grounds and the connections to the fuse box as well as battery cables. Also look for a pinched wire. May just be a short.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks that way, now i have no power at all, I actually have an extra ignition key harness , dash lights and other parts, seems weirdly intermittent, but now I have nothing at all...so back to it...thanks

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Is it a new battery?? Is the battery showing full charge?

Kenny

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
When I switched frames on my brute 750, I mistakenly plugged in two separate harness plugs together and had a similar issue. When I corrected the plug connection to the proper harness, things were back to normal. All the wire plug connections were on the right side of the steering column. Not saying this is it, but a possibility.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.