Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just completed an engine rebuild on a 2010 Brute Force 750. I put a Hot Rods rebuild kit in it that contained a new crankshaft, connecting rods, main bearings and Wiseco pistons. The rest of the internal engine parts and heads are in great shape as the engine was not abused and has only 946 miles on it. Upon completion, the engine started right up but I immediately heard a knock or ticking noise and I can't pinpoint where it's coming form.

Since the clutches on these bikes are so noisy, I pulled it off so I could hear the engine better. The engine noise seems to go away with a little more RPM's making me think it has something to do with the timing chains. I swapped the front and rear chain tensioners as I read might be a fix but it didn't make any difference.

Another thing to note is that the engine will not rev up to full RPM's. It seems to bog down at full throttle and I don't know if it's related. I attached a link that shows the engine running at different RPM's. Thanks for your help and any information is appreciated.

Engine Noise

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
How far out where the tensioners when you took it apart? What did the chains look like?

How did you install the FWD mark on both pistons?

How did you install the main bearing?

How did the fuel injection system work before?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How far out where the tensioners when you took it apart? What did the chains look like?

How did you install the FWD mark on both pistons?

How did you install the main bearing?

How did the fuel injection system work before?
Good questions. So tonight I pulled the engine apart down to the connecting rods. Both the cylinder tensioners were in a good position, (half way or less) but the tensioner on the intermediate chain was out all the way with little to no spring tension. I'm guessing that this was making the noise since it was coming from the center of the engine and not the front or rear cylinders. Both pistons were in correctly with the FWD mark towards the front of the bike. I used a shop press to install the main bearing and put it in the same place as the original one. The fuel injection system worked well up to the point that it went down. I'm planning on buying all new timing chains for good measure and hope that the noise goes away. Also, the connection rods looked great with no end play.

·
Super Moderator
12,569 Posts
Doesn't sound like the chains, unless one of the guides is in wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after waiting two weeks to get the timing chains and gaskets, (they were hung up in shipping somewhere) I got the engine back together and it runs perfectly. It turns out that I didn't have the front chain guide seated all the way down like NovaKaw650 suggested. My mistake was that I initially assembled it after the head was mounted which I learned later that it needs to be installed before the head goes on. I replaced all the chains anyway even though there may have been some life left in them. Oh well, I plan to hold on to this thing for a few years so it's good that they are fresh with the rest of the engine components. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts