Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through the service manual, it says the engine uses 2.01 quarts with the filter off and you should run 10w-40 with it. Just wondering if most people on here are using 10w-40, and also what brands do you guys have success with?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Looking through the service manual, it says the engine uses 2.01 quarts with the filter off and you should run 10w-40 with it. Just wondering if most people on here are using 10w-40, and also what brands do you guys have success with?
You can use any good 10w-40 regular oil (Valvoline/Mobil/etc) or you an use the 0w-40 or 5w-40 synthetics that Amsoil/Mobil/etc have. It is really just your personal preference. Yes, you will need just a little more than 2qts for an oil change. The 5qt containers that Walmart has are perfect. You can get two oil changes out of one jug.

I run a larger than stock oil filter. I believe the stock filter is a 7317. The one I run is a 3593a which is the same height but bigger diameter. Both of those numbers will be preceded each manufacturer's prefix such as TG3593a which is the Fram Tough Guard filter (don't buy lesser model Fram filters, they are no good).

Hope this helps!

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
I run and recomend Rotella T 15-40 Diesel oil. the only oil with zinc still in it.

I've yet to spin a crank bearing with this setup. I used to go thru cranks 2-3 x a year with mobil1 synthetic when I was dynoing my stuff heavily

I run the Fram ToughGuard filter from a Mazda RX-7 1993 it's a little bigger and hass the grippy end so changing it is easy.

tg6607 is the filter # I use and recomend there is no spring in the filter crap in it like some of the others that can restrict oil flow.

John

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
That's what I run... 15-40 diesel...any "C" rated oil is gonna give you better protection than a "S" rated oil, FWIU

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
I run 20w50 Amsoil, but am seriously considering trying something else. I'll give the Rotella T a shot,

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
I should have said "one of the oils with a higher level of Zinc and Phosphorous in it at 1300 ppm compared to cars oil that has 25-40% less to avoid blocking the catalyst" but then i'd be typing all day.

there are others as well like mobil 1 15w-50

rotella is easy to get, it's cheap, and it works

JOhn

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
i normally run rotella in my diesels but always run royal purple in the quads.maybe i should just use rotella in everything?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
there are others as well like mobil 1 15w-50

JOhn
I used to run that when that was the gold cap "high mileage" but now they only make it in the regular silver cap it's not the same... I've been wondering too, what would be a good equivalent.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Is there a problem running the 15w-40 in temperatures as low as 25-30 degrees? I have run the 15w-40 Rotella T, 5w-40 Synthetic Rotella-T, 0w-40 Amsoil, and 5w-40 Schaeffer Series 9000 full synthetic.

I think the regular Rotella-T is about $12/gallon and I pay $19/gallon for the Schaeffer oil or the synthetic Rotella-T. Any opinions on regular vs. synthetic. Is synthetic worth it when it probably gets changed every 20-25 hours of riding?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
So the V doesn't need Motorcycle or ATV specific oil---Just regular auto oil:huh::huh:

Kenny

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
IMO...your last statement is what makes the difference.
I use Amsoil synthetic in all my trucks, because they are diesels.
I change the oil in them every 6 months regardless of miles.
#1...because of the amount it takes..( 2+ Gallons)
#2...because of my climate, April change to 15-40 ...October change to 5-40
I use reg. oil in the bike and other engines that have to be changed more often and have a small capacity.
Unless the engine is air-cooled then I run a Amsoil 20-50 summer and 5-40 winter.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I run and recomend Rotella T 15-40 Diesel oil. the only oil with zinc still in it.

I've yet to spin a crank bearing with this setup. I used to go thru cranks 2-3 x a year with mobil1 synthetic when I was dynoing my stuff heavily

I run the Fram ToughGuard filter from a Mazda RX-7 1993 it's a little bigger and hass the grippy end so changing it is easy.

tg6607 is the filter # I use and recomend there is no spring in the filter crap in it like some of the others that can restrict oil flow.

John

John, here is an old report re- zinc and other additives being elliminated from these oils. Did they take it out of the Rotella?
LUBE REPORT: Chemical Limits Loom for Diesel Oils

1 - 14 of 14 Posts