Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my engine has slowly been leaking oil from the bottom of the crank, and i want to replace all the seals, i was wondering if anyone knows a good place to pick up a set and any possible tips in replacing them. pulling the motor is the easy part but busting it open has me nervous. any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well how about,can anybody let me know how difficult it will be to do?

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
You can replace the seals without tearing the motor down. Where exactly is it leaking?

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I just got done putting my V motor back together after replacing the oil screen, oil pump, intermediate timing chain and other things.
Get a manual if you don't have one already.
Use it every step of the way. Color code your bolts, and a ring of color where they were removed from. I used oil based paint markers available at any art supply. Take digital pictures of the motor before and after each step of the manual...they will come in handy later.Get a box of medium size zipper bags, label them as per each step of the manual, and put the corresponding bolts and parts inside.
When you need to use a puller, others will work you don't need the one in the manual.
Post on here and guys will walk you thru.
PUT THE CRANK BOLT BACK IN BEFORE YOU USE A PULLER TO BREAK THE FLYWHEEL LOOSE!!!!!!!!!! You will split the crankshaft if you don't...the manual does'nt tell you this because the instructions are for thier puller.
I had NEVER done this before either. I was also VERY nervous about splitting the case, looking back it was easy, if you were closer I'd do it for you for fun.
Take your time, follow the manual,LABEL everything, keep everything organized and clean...if it doesn't come easy STOP ask on here, before breakin anything ....you'll be fine. Ed3

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
I just got done putting my V motor back together after replacing the oil screen, oil pump, intermediate timing chain and other things.
Get a manual if you don't have one already.
Use it every step of the way. Color code your bolts, and a ring of color where they were removed from. I used oil based paint markers available at any art supply. Take digital pictures of the motor before and after each step of the manual...they will come in handy later.Get a box of medium size zipper bags, label them as per each step of the manual, and put the corresponding bolts and parts inside.
When you need to use a puller, others will work you don't need the one in the manual.
Post on here and guys will walk you thru.
PUT THE CRANK BOLT BACK IN BEFORE YOU USE A PULLER TO BREAK THE FLYWHEEL LOOSE!!!!!!!!!! You will split the crankshaft if you don't...the manual does'nt tell you this because the instructions are for thier puller.
I had NEVER done this before either. I was also VERY nervous about splitting the case, looking back it was easy, if you were closer I'd do it for you for fun.
Take your time, follow the manual,LABEL everything, keep everything organized and clean...if it doesn't come easy STOP ask on here, before breakin anything ....you'll be fine. Ed3
Damn good job! I have been nuilding motor my whole life, but the V intimidated me so I had a local builder do my 730. I am totally happy with the work and the price and everything, but I will do the next one on my own.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
badhear...I must confess, I had nothing to lose...I bought it broke. The worst I could do was break it MORE:p:(;). After I thought about the irony of that.....the next thing I knew it was out of the bike and on the bench....ahh the bench...everything is easy-peasy once it's on the BENCH!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts