Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not a kawie, but I am looking for advice on swaping a cr500 into a 250r frame. A close friend of mine passed away this summer and has a 87 250r, that he has had since '92 with a hole in the left side case from the chain snaping. He figured it would be cheaper to swap motors then find a 250r motor. He was thinking of using a cr500 but never got a chance to start the convertion.

Another buddy has a 85 cr500 that runs great but the rest has pretty much been worn out. So we were thinking of buying the 250r from his dad to do the swap and keep it in the group.

Between us we can use any tool and have access to a machine shop. I have read that the cr motor vibrates alot more and needs to be mounted differently. Is there any other things we need to check on or watch out for as we get started.

Thanks

We plan on keeping it looking as stock as possible.

·
Registered
780 Posts
It's not a kawie, but I am looking for advice on swaping a cr500 into a 250r frame. A close friend of mine passed away this summer and has a 87 250r, that he has had since '92 with a hole in the left side case from the chain snaping. He figured it would be cheaper to swap motors then find a 250r motor. He was thinking of using a cr500 but never got a chance to start the convertion.

Another buddy has a 85 cr500 that runs great but the rest has pretty much been worn out. So we were thinking of buying the 250r from his dad to do the swap and keep it in the group.

Between us we can use any tool and have access to a machine shop. I have read that the cr motor vibrates alot more and needs to be mounted differently. Is there any other things we need to check on or watch out for as we get started.

Thanks

We plan on keeping it looking as stock as possible.
I don't know about being cheaper but it'll certainly be fun. We had a quad (lt250) with a CR500 motor in it and it was a blast to ride. Don't worry about the vibes just worry about building it and let nature take it's course. I rode ours for entire weekends in the Oregon Dunes without vibration problems. I rode Toby's KX500 powered Tecate in the coastal mountain range for an afternoon and didn't have any problems with it either. Have fun keeping your buddy's bike in the group:cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not sure where you are from, but there is an already build laeger CR500 motored quad for sale in California.

Anyway, it is a waste of time. There have been hundreds of these things built and unless you are using for a drag only machine the vibrations cannot be overcome. 90% of these conversions end up junking the frame because of all the cracks. A well built 250R will do just as well as a CR500 because of rideability. There are plenty of motors for sale on ebay and forums.

If you really want to build a CR500 quad then I suggest using an aftermarket frame because it can handle it a little better, but it's such a waste IMO - you'll get done and won't want to ride it because it shakes your brains out.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is mainly going to be done because that was his plan and according to him 250r left side cases are getting hard to find. The cheapest I've seen just the side case is $300The machine was mainly going to be used for dunes, no trail riding.

I know someone that has 10-12 complete engines just sitting in his garage. But will not part with any for under $1500 thow he does not ride anymore. There factory race motors with all the better parts in them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The legendary CR500 quad swap is overated imo... its still gonna get beat by banshees at the drags, and the vibration pretty much ruins the quad for anything else, even if the rider can tolerate it for more than a few minutes its still far from ideal... I would keep the TRX as a 250 and enjoy it as it was when your buddy actually rode it... Buy a cheap running ATC250R... rob the motor for the trx, and then put the CR500 in the ATC roller.... It will vibe much less and be even faster than the quad would be.. You would have a fun 500 duner, and the quad wont end up ruined like all the others... There is a reason people almost always talk about their 500 quad conversions in past tense.... cuz when money or space gets tight the 500 is the first one to go... and they usually sell cheap...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts