Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Brute Force 750
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bored reading the oil talk on here. I don't think I have ran across anyone saying anything about ester oils. Iv read that it sticks to metals and few other good things. I know it's a synthetic of sorts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Its one of the stocks they add to powersport oils, alot of people use it with out even knowing. To be honest with todays oils synthetic or dyno it will be hard for the average rider to notice a difference in wear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When you are talking about a full synthetic oil; that is an ester oil. All motor oils are a combination of the base oil; ester for synth and mineral oil for petroleum based oil. But that just the 'foundation' the oil is built on. The rest are additives to give the oil its beneficial qualities. Detergents, and a variety of chemicals and compounds make up a modern motor oil.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
When you are talking about a full synthetic oil; that is an ester oil. All motor oils are a combination of the base oil; ester for synth and mineral oil for petroleum based oil. But that just the 'foundation' the oil is built on. The rest are additives to give the oil its beneficial qualities. Detergents, and a variety of chemicals and compounds make up a modern motor oil.
Full syns can be a hydro cracked mineral oil, a PAO, an ester, or a combination. Class 3, 4, or 5.
The high quantity ester oils cost significantly more than the other two, but almost always have some PAO in them to help with moisture attraction.

One of my favorite ester oils is Maxima Ultra 4. High zinc and phosphorus in it. But $15+ a quart ain't cheap.
The best PAO oil I've found is Amsoil Metric. It also has quite a bit of zinc and phosphorus, and is about 4 bucks cheaper.

I've run these two oils exclusively for the last several years, and my conn rod bearings are still in perfect shape at 26,000 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts