Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new member here. Man looks like y'all have a really supportive site here, happy to join!

I tried searching for this topic for a while but couldn't find anything much newer than 2005 online... So we have a 2002 Prairie 300 that has been almost a part of the family for the past 20 years, and it has been rode hard but pretty well maintained. Long story short, the ball joint popped out of the RH knuckle a few weeks ago. Pulled it only to learn that the bottom of the knuckle has been reamed out from the ball joint. Said no problem, I'll get the part # and find a used or NOS knuckle. Only after hours of online and part diagram confusion did I learn of the infamous recall that we missed out on for these knuckles way back then. Fun ride and realization digging through the archives.

So mine ended up holding on for 20 years before it came out. Question is, what do I need to do about it today in 2023? Should I try to source an original NOS knuckle and plug it back in (would need a new bolt and part # for it), or find the parts for the conversion? What were all the parts or part #'s that were swapped? The left side is still original and in good shape. Does this conversion have to be done to both sides at the same time?

Any direction would be appreciated. I would think Partzilla has the correct parts numbers but with this unique situation, but I want to double-check.

Thanks!

· Super Moderator
5,768 Posts
Oh yeah I remember that issue. Minimum you will need the knuckle, lower control arm as well as the ball joint and retainer. Not sure about the other parts like the bearing, bolts and upper stuff but if it were mine and I was intent on keeping the old girl, all would be replaced with the upgraded and new parts...on both sides...and I mean everything.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah I remember that issue. Minimum you will need the knuckle, lower control arm as well as the ball joint and retainer. Not sure about the other parts like the bearing, bolts and upper stuff but if it were mine and I was intent on keeping the old girl, all would be replaced with the upgraded and new parts...on both sides...and I mean everything.
Thanks for the reply! Yep this is about to turn into a front-end rebuild I believe. I called my local dealer to see if they had any kind of old parts list for it and explained the situation and he said "Well let me get back to you, I'm going to have to do some research on that"

· Super Moderator
5,768 Posts
They stopped making those defective parts when the recall came out. Junk yards and ebay..maybe. Just pay the piper and rebuild it..if it's worth it. Being that old it's value is..questionable at best. Getting to an age where even finding the upgraded parts might be tough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts