Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 prairie 650 and I love it. I have a farm and I used to use it every day. At least up until this year. A little while back my radiator was leaking and it ended up over heating on me once. As soon as the light came on I turned it off. I ended up taking the radiator in and they removed the bottom fin of the radiator. It only cost me $30 as compared to a new $400 radiator. I got it all back together replaced the coolant and changed the oil. After riding for a couple days I noticed the fan is running constantly. It starts running about 10 minutes after I start tue four wheeler and runs until the battery dies. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe a sensor is bad, but I don't know how to test it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank You!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Does the fan run when you first start the wheeler? If not then I suspect once the temp sensor reaches temperature and closes it never opens back up = bad temp sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it runs a while before the fan comes on. I kinda thought that might be what's happening, but I was hoping there would be a way to test it before I just went out and bought a new sensor

·
Registered
363 Posts
You can. Pull the sensor and put it in a pot of water, bring it up to boiling and check it with an ohm meter. It should read 0 ohms. Take it out of the water and it should open back up. If it doesn't open back up until its cold it's bad. It needs to open and close right around to 200 degree mark. Between 180 and 210 ish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for the help! I just realized I forgot to mention that when it's sitting still and I run the engine pretty fast the exhaust pipe, where it comes out of the engine, glows red up until the fan comes on. Is that normal? I don't think it does it when it's moving because there would be air moving across it, but I don't know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts