Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got out on the ice for the first time ever today and had a blast. We rode on Houghton Lake which is one of the largest inland lakes in Michigan. I think it is 10 miles by 4 miles or something like that. There were a LOT of people on the lake this weekend because of the yearly Tip-Up Town ice festival. Everyone was even parking right on the lake! :lol:

Anyway, I only took a few pictures but here's what I have. The rear tires that I was running on my V hook up so hard on bare ice that you can't give it much more than 1/4-1/3 throttle off the start or it will wheelie like crazy.

Picture by the trucks. The black trailer is my friend's trailer.

My V and a friend's Raptor 660.

My other friend's Banshee. I guess it steers almost TOO good with the snowmobile skis on the front. I think he said he had 96 snowmobile studs in each of the rear 18" tires.

A pic out on the lake. It was so hazy you couldn't see the other side.

This is just a very small example of the amount of people that were out there.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Looks cool:rolleyes: Nice pics thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
That is awesome. I bet you did have a blast.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it was a bit cold but mainly only my hands got cold. If I had better gloves I could have ridden longer at one time. We mostly rode for about 3-4 miles at a time and then went back to the truck to warm up.

...and YES, it was a blast. We might be going out on a smaller lake much closer to home this coming weekend. I am looking forward to it. :D

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Soo..how bad did you beat that Raptor? :p

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We weren't racing. He was borrowing the ice tires from my other friend and and the specialty screws that were put in them kept loosening up so he didn't do any hard starts.

I did race the Banshee in the photo that I posted a number of times and didn't do too bad. We didn't have someone starting us so I just waited for him to let out the clutch which usually meant that I got a little behind right off the start. Sometimes he would stay ahead of me and sometimes I would catch up to him. I think when I caught up to him it was mainly because he missed some shifts. We were only racing for about 250' because his skis were't aligned right and it would get real twitchy past that distance and his rear tires were shaking him quite a bit as well. 96 studs is a LOT of weight in each 18" tire.

I have seen my friend's Banshee run a number of times and it would take a lot more than a 730 BBK in my V to keep up with it. My only real chance of beating him is if he screws up a launch or misses a shift. I rarely screw up launches very bad and obviously can't miss a shift. :D

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I love doing doughnuts! I bet it is easier on ice. Round and round and round and round... LOL

The Skishee is pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There wasn't any "doing of donuts" with those spiked tires that I have. They grab WAY too hard for that. They are good for straight line but that is about it. :D

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Houghton Lake is a blast. I've ridden that lake a number of times, but haven't rode on it in probably just under 5 years. A friend of mine wanted me to go there this year with him, but figured it would suck asss being the only one riding a quad in the group. My neighbor was there last weekend.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was surprised, there were actually quite a number of quads. Very minimal as compared to snowmobiles but I think I saw probably 10-12 of them Saturday.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice looking set of tires but the screws are pointless with all of the snowmobile studs. I bet they had screws in them first and the guy decided to put the studs in later. Either way, I bet they won't sell. I think he will need to drop about $100 to get them sold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.