Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!! So I bought an 04 kfx 400 a few days ago and love the bike! It's jetted and piped but no other mods.

So I don't have any ramps to load the bike, I have a f350 and its pretty high to the tailgate, what's been happening is it seems like I'm flooding the bike every time I unload it. It usually always starts right up until I take it somewhere and unload it. I guess because I have to stand it straight up to roll it away from the truck then it plays hell to start! Is this what's going on or would you say it's something else??? I heard about some good ways to start a flooded bike, and I also know about the valve clearance issue that causes hard/no start conditions but it only acts up directly after I unload the bike. So I'm thinking I flood it! Would I be correct in my assumptions??

Just let me know what you think and thanks for looking,
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
that could flood it but not very likely, it seems like you need to do a valve adjustment just get a service manual and it should explain how to do it. Heres a link that you can get a service manual free which i use you just need to unzip the file after downland.maxmekker.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all!! So I bought an 04 kfx 400 a few days ago and love the bike! It's jetted and piped but no other mods.

So I don't have any ramps to load the bike, I have a f350 and its pretty high to the tailgate, what's been happening is it seems like I'm flooding the bike every time I unload it. It usually always starts right up until I take it somewhere and unload it. I guess because I have to stand it straight up to roll it away from the truck then it plays hell to start! Is this what's going on or would you say it's something else??? I heard about some good ways to start a flooded bike, and I also know about the valve clearance issue that causes hard/no start conditions but it only acts up directly after I unload the bike. So I'm thinking I flood it! Would I be correct in my assumptions??

Just let me know what you think and thanks for looking,
Thanks again
Perhaps it's not just unloading, but the trip itself. If your carb float is a little sticky or the float needle/seat are worn, the vibrations from traveling in the truck could be the cause. Next time before you load it up, shut off the gas at the petcock and let the machine run itself almost out of gas, then turn it off. The carb bowl will now be almost empty while you are transporting. This way it can't flood itself while traveling.

I had a float stick on a dirt bike once and so much gas ran through the motor into my pipe that it was hydro locked! I had to pull the pipe off and empty all the gas out. Now I always shut my gas off while transporting.

Don't forget to turn the petcock back on when you get it off the truck to ride. If that solves the problem then clean up the carb and/or replace the needle and seat.

EDIT: It seems that the petcock on my 06 has 3 positions. Reserve, Prime and Run. I never saw a petcock before (on an OHV) that can't be shut off. I guess you would have to pinch off the fuel line with something like a pair of needle nose vise grips.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is defiantly a valve issue so it sounds like does it work alright until its warm because thats what mine would do i would just get going at it would just fall on its face and die. Come to find out it was my valves and they are shimmed just for a heads up its a pretty easy fix but make sure you check your head gasket before u put it back together lol trust me its either that or a timing issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts