·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Nice find. I never heard of them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i spoke to them today and they said that they need your cylinder to do the work and that depending on the condition they will either replate or sleeve it the guy said that replateing is they're preferred method . If you look at the big bore kits the kxt is 290cc and the kxf is 310cc due to kxt having a shorter stroke . Is that correct?

·
Registered
60 Posts
in all honesty a tecate with a stock kx jug will most likely out run a big-bored non-ported tecate jug.... from what i have seen kustom krfts porting isnt much..basically a clean up... they did a 295 big bore on my buddies cr250 and the power difference wasnt very impressive, although it didnt cost much more than a std rebuild so what can you really expect.. porting will be required for max performance on that big bore and it should be done before the replate... head mods are required as well

·
Registered
230 Posts
CR480r is right, alot of the shops that do big bores or even porting dont take the time to do it right. They pretty much to a quick clean up maybe an hours worth of work. When most (Real) port jobs require at least 8+ hours to make everything nice. I have seen RPM cylinders Pro Circuit, FMF, LRD, plus many others. Except for the full blown factory race bikes or their own personal stuff. The work is all minimal and really quick to make a buck on the guy that just wants the Name... I will post some pics in a few days of one of my cylinders compared to another company just to give you an idea.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Eric gore will port your bike right, he is across the pond now very expensive and a long wait. He used to be the best (and to some ) still the best at 2 stroke port work.

You can advance the timing and a whole range of things but cutting the metal up. He will port it for your style of riding rather than, ITS PORTED GOTTA BE BETTER.

If you want top end, bottom end, mid range ect. Sealey is pretty good to and on this side of the world.

Not that i am a expert, but if i had a jug and wanted to get some work on it. I would ride the coat tails of the 250r guys a bit, and see who's doing there port work.

Curtis sparks is about garbage from what i been told (allthough the hold retail resale) There is some top notch guys that really know what they are doing.

If you really wanted to get something done, post around on the 250r sites. You will find alot help. (lots more 250r's) but they still are a 2 stroke.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here is a quick clean up I did on my 250R. I have about 6 hours into it. Now that its apart Im going to do more work but keep it a 250. I just want to see how fast I can make a standard based 250R without a big bore or aftermarket cylinder.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Looks good man, just gotta get your time down a little bit if your gonna port for other people.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ya but.... if I take less time on it the final job ends up being like everyone else out there. Most guys dont take the time to do the job right. I still have alot of things to do on this project and the Tecate BB cylinder. I was talking with Mike last night about what Im building... It should be one of if not the fastest Tecate out there based on a stock engine running fuel no alky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts