Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coolant has started mixing with the oil on my 03 kfx400. after taking EVERYTHING apart looking for the problem i found out that there are 2 "freezeout" style plugs inside the head. One of these plugs has apparently fallen out and been grinded to death by the cams. I've searched everywhere for a new plug and my local shop says "Kawasaki says to replace the cylinder head". Isn't that the purpose of the plugs? to save the head from cracking? I don't want to spend 3-400 bux on a new head b/c of a 25¢ part... So, does anyone know the exact size of these plugs? they look to be about 5/8" but i'm guessing they are metric? 14mm maybe? anyone have any ideas on where to get them??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, turns out I should have just listened to the guys at my local shop and got a new head.. I stuck a rubber plug in the hole just to see if it would cure the leak, it did slow it down but i found another one.. the head has a crack in the wall behind the cam chain slot.. Thanx for the advice about the machine shop, but it looks like I'm off to Ebay to search for a new head :mad:

if anybody here has one for sale let me know..

·
Registered
379 Posts
parts

Post a new thread for what you need on here.........lots of these guys part out from time to time..................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts