Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt my front diff. This is the second one I have done. After installing it in the quad i rotated the wheels and they both rotated in the same direction. I knew something was wrong but finished putting it together to see if it would work its way out. After 5 mins of gentle riding, no dice. So i pulled it back in garage and tore it out again. I checked the diff lock bearing cam to make sure i didn't screw that up. It was good. I looked at the alignment of everything and it all looks right.

The clutch pack was fubar when i took it out. A pin had came completely out. I cleaned it all up and put the clutch pack back together. I can't afford the additional $232 for this repair.

I really don't care about the diff lock functionality, i just don't want the steering to be hard as a rock.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Bio

·
Super Moderator
12,576 Posts
Both wheels will turn in the same direction if they're both off the ground.
Are you saying the clutch pack was messed up the first time you took it apart, or the second time?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutch pack was damaged when i first opened it up. It's been repaired, cleaned and should function properly. Both wheels turn in same direction off the ground. But when you hold the other tire you cannot get it to turn the opposite way.

When i pulled both axles out, you can spin the spider gears by hand and while ones turning counter clockwise the other is turning clockwise.

·
Super Moderator
12,576 Posts
With one wheel jacked up, you should be able to turn that wheel in the forward direction, but it will turn hard. The front diff is a limited slip when the yellow lever isn't pulled.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the whole diff apart again. Verified everything was correct. Reassembled everything. When I was plugging in the left axle (locker). I plugged it in gently and i could still spin it without the other side turning. I think now I may have pushed the cup too deep which locked the teeth into the diff lock clutch pack. Either way it's fixed. Thanks for your input and help!

·
Super Moderator
12,576 Posts
Glad it's working, but don't really understand what you changed that won't move on it's own in the future and lock up anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts