Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
My recently purchased '03 P650 is making a bunch of noise in the front differential when I run it in low and go downhill. Of course the guy I bought it from never mentioned this either. Why can't people be F-ing honest about the stuff they sell? It doesn't seem to do it in high. Any ideas?
My first thought is that's it's not the front diff, it's more likely the tranny due to the linkage being out of adjustment. Does it make a grinding/ratcheting noise when in low range and in 4wd when you back out of the throttle?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That sounds like whats happening. I have been running it in 2-wheel in a field most of the time and didn't hear it before. I was also running it in high until I read that I should leave it in low if riding at slow speed to avoid burning up the belt. I used it in 4-wheel today to get some wood at the bottom of a steep hill. It was making a grinding noise like it wasn't fully in gear on the way down. I guess the linkage needing adjustment could explain that.

I don't now why the previous owner would let things like this go and not fix them. It still has an open recall on it that was never delt with. He brought it in to the dealer to have the belt and plugs changed right before he sold it to me. The oil was changed then too. It starts right up but wants to die after a minute or so and runs a little rough until it warms up. When he showed it to me it started right up and ran fine. He clearly ran it for a while to hide that. I figured as much because it was warm when I got there. He lived in a neighborhood where I really couldn't push it. I just tried switching in and out of 2 & 4 wheel and made sure everything was working. I really wanted a Prairie and every seemed ok so told him I would take it. I was leaving for a business trip in two days and told him I would come for it when I got back but he said he had lost his job and was hurting for cash so he offered to bring it to my house the next day. I expected to find out the real deal about the starting but it again fired right up and ran great. He must have pulled over before he got to my house and warmed it up again. It coughs out the carbs really bad when it's cold so it needs a valve adjustment. I have to bring it in to have the recall work done and valves adjusted as well as this problem fixed. What else should I have looked at while it's in? It's got 1800 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
Adjusting the shift linkage will fix the tranny noise.
These machines are cold-blooded and take some time to warm up, so he may not have been mis-leading you. If you adjust the pilot screws on the carbs out about 1/2 turn, it will make it better.
Get the valves checked.
Get the safety recall done.
If the belt makes a sudden chirp or squeal when you hit the throttle to pull away, then the belt tension needs adjusting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the diagnosis and the tip regarding the belt because it's doing that too. I was getting a little nervous because I tend to find myself on the crappy end of deals a lot. It's relief hearing that I should be able to get this beast running in top form with a few minor adjustments. I'll bring it in and get this stuff taken care of as soon as possible. I want this baby ready for action before the snow comes. I have to say this machine makes my previous quad (AC 375) feel like I was riding a lawn mower. I love how it rips when you get on the throttle. :tup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts