Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading and asking different members, I got a VFJ stage 3 with dalton cover and Or/blu spring.B)
I bought it used.
Installed it today along with a brand new stock belt.
I don't like this setup.:confused:
I DON'T BLAME ANYONE BUT MYSELF.:cry:
I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to express to those "in the know" what I want.
I need help. I want to get the RPM's down as low as possible while cruising and trail riding.
Maybe stock is as good as it gets for this?
At my skill level the the engine has plenty of power at low speed for everything I do.
I have a stock used clutch...with what I think has a stock spring.
Should I put the stock spring in the VFJ clutch?
Is there a lower than stock stall spring? I'm really baffled, please help me.:hmm:

·
Premium Member
11,664 Posts
try a dalton blue spring... it has almost no stall.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
Dalton plain/white is a very light spring with a tiny bit of stall. Any spring you choose, including stock, will work fine with your VFJ clutch. Use it rather than your stock clutch; the VFJ cut will keep the RPM's down at higher speeds due to the top-speed mod.
Does your secondary clutch have an aftermarket spring? If it does, switching back to the stock secondary spring will lower your RPM's a little more (won't have any effect on the stall, but the RPM's at any given speed will be a little lower).
A set of stock weights out of a Prairie or BF will drag the RPM's down even more.

Now that I've said all that, you've only had this set-up in for a day. I would suggest that you give it some time to see how you like it. I put one of the original EPI red (high stall) springs in my 650 back in 2002. I hated it. A month later I put the stock spring back in; it lasted all of one day. I couldn't stand NOT having the extra stall. The red went back in and I haven't ran a zero stall spring since. And I ride under all conditions; rock crawling, hill climbs, etc.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
O/B is pretty revey I call it a race spring and not trail.
Its the most widley used spring and satisfiying for many racers.
Pink, blue, or stock should tame it, if not a spacer, The guy that built it will probably say maybe close to the same.
If you really want low Rs I use a thin headed bolt and nut M-4 availabe at lowes bolt cabinets and locktite the nut and grind the shank of the bolt flush with the nut and its 6 grams total and just perfect. The thin heads wont interfere with the spider if and when the weight bushings get shot up as bad. This is known as a fuel squeezer clutch when it comes from here and will conserve.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim...so your saying I need to ADD weight to the fingers?
That makes sense.
Heavier weights fly out faster at lower rpms...is this right?
Nova...I think the secondary is stock...I'm kinda in the dark as I bought the bike used from someone who knew nothin about it....BLIND leading the BLIND:eek:
Thank you all for your suggestion...keep em comin'
This is becoming less of a mystery at every post!!!!
To recap ...
The stall is WHEN the clutch begins to engage the belt.... low stall= low RPM engagement?
The finger weight affects how agressive the clutch engages....more weight= lower RPM harder, faster engagement?
Shiftout is the rpm @ which the primary cannot move anymore....higher# = higher RPM to fully closed or compressed?
Shims under the primary spring lower the STALL so an Or/Blu with a 25-167 rating will still have a 167 Shiftout but 1 shim will bring the stall down to 20 or 15...so it engauges the belt sooner @ lower rpm?
Is all this correct?
Any additions?
Ed3

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I think the Pink primary is about as good as your gonna get for what your describing----And if what you have isn't what you expected and your not happy---Pull the clutch and put your stocker back in with Pink spring in it to compare---So if you like the stock better---Sell the other one on here----Life's simple:p:p

Kenny

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
You have a good understanding of what you need ...try spring first then add weight if you want it tamer yet and tons of bottom...this system pulls hard on mid too with stock power...

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Bolt on engine . EPI maroon & 2 DPK 58s and 2 DPK 56s. You will be very happy. Mine didnt wake up until I added more weight to my VFJ2 clutch. Takes the flat spot out of the power curve of the stock setup. There is no "wall"

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jim...It took me long enuff:p.
Kenny...I don't have a pink ..YET....I'm gonna put the stock (I think) spring in the VFJ and try it.
Then I'll add some weights like Jim said I will keep my eye out for a pink in the classifieds as thats what VFJ recomended if had sent him my stocker to do a stage 3.
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!
Thank you soo much...now back to wrenchin...seeya Ed3

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Enigma whats a DPK 56 and DPK 58? are they weights?
Maroon was the spring I thought I wanted...VFJ said NO....he told me pink?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
Gardog is trying to tone it down, not hop it up.
I still think you should try it for awhile, you may find that you love it.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Enigma whats a DPK 56 and DPK 58? are they weights?
Maroon was the spring I thought I wanted...VFJ said NO....he told me pink?

DPK is flyweights by Dalton Industries.

Dalton Industries, Ltd. - ATV Products KAWASAKI

The setup I described was what I used to run fast fire roads. Good acceleration from tree to tree also.

I would not recommend if you do slower, rough, tight terrain. A blue or pink would be best. I tried both and liked blue the best. I did not like O/B either on a stock engine. I like it alot on the 730 though.

You can also put bolts in the tips of the stock weights. A cheap way to move the power around to find out what you like.

So much of it is personal preference though. Good luck!!

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Never fear GarDog..I'll send you my stock for it and cover all shipping...:D

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
When my v was stock internals I had John do my clutch and I had a maroon spring put in and it was excellent on all the trails totally manageable and way better than the stock setup in fact I still run that stage 3 with spidermod and the maroon spring.I think you just need to run it for a while to get used to the difference and maybe try a couple of different springs.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's what I've found...
The VFJ cut clutch with Or/Blu had 3 shims under it.
It had two 56 gram weights and two 52 gram weights.
What is the advantage to having two 56 gram wieghts & two 52 gram weights?
Why not have all four the same?
Could the two different weights hurt the lighter weights?
I ask because the bushing on both 52 gram weights is egg shaped and was binding on the shaft.
The 56 gram weights are DPK 56's those bushings are perfect.
Could the worn bushings cause a chattering sound @ idle?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I have run 2 different weights before with no problems. 2 56s and 2 bolted stockers.

Check the shafts for surface rust. A little XXX steel wool will clean them up.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK compared to my stocker...which I was told via a few pictures was "pretty rough"...the VFJ is "well worn" is the nicest way to put it.
I harvested the stock fingers and shafts from the stocker, polished them up and added a stainless 8-32 pan head machine screw with 2 stainless nuts and locktite.
This brought the weight up from 52 grams to 58 grams almost 60 as my scale jumps by 2 grams @ a time...so I'm probably right @ 59 grams.
I used the dremel and a small stainless wire brush to clean all the bores the shaft rides in.
I then installed 3 shims and the stock spring with the Dalton cover on the VFJ stg.3 cut clutch.
I will bolt it up when it gets light out and report back.
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions....now that I've taken it apart, I have a better understanding of how it works and why.
Ed3

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
OK compared to my stocker...which I was told via a few pictures was "pretty rough"...the VFJ is "well worn" is the nicest way to put it.
I harvested the stock fingers and shafts from the stocker, polished them up and added a stainless 8-32 pan head machine screw with 2 stainless nuts and locktite.
This brought the weight up from 52 grams to 58 grams almost 60 as my scale jumps by 2 grams @ a time...so I'm probably right @ 59 grams.
I used the dremel and a small stainless wire brush to clean all the bores the shaft rides in.
I then installed 3 shims and the stock spring with the Dalton cover on the VFJ stg.3 cut clutch.
I will bolt it up when it gets light out and report back.
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions....now that I've taken it apart, I have a better understanding of how it works and why.
Ed3
Damn, you little over acheiver:lol: It sounds like you are totally on track with the clutch. I just got a rollerclutch from Jim and I can't wait to use it. I mostly sand and drag my730. When I put the maroon spring on the stock clutch and motor, I hated the stall. After the 730, it worked great. I'm paying attention because I bought another V for the woods and want that great controllable, predictable torque that you are after.

Let me know the results.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts