Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
James had the same problem as me, fuel delivery so he didn't run... his bike looks amazing though. Great job on the pipes Kev, sounds like music!

My bike was running GREAT, felt stronger than it ever has.... until about the 3rd race...LOL It was some kind of fuel delivery issue...I imagine this had something to do with it.... h :lol:

I am going to take off the tank and totally clean it out and then drill and put a fitting on there so I can clean it more often...

I was so exhausted from pulling an all nighter to get the bike ready I barely filmed anything. I didn't even stick around to film the finish of the power adder race... once I was done... I went back to camp to lay down!!!

I did film some stuff and I will post the video tonight or tomorrow... until them here is 840 POUNDS of bike/rider racing up the hill... ha ha. :bandit:

I rode my own bike this time. Basicly on the first race, the one where my bike ran like it should... the difference between first and last was the launch. I don't know how to fix that. I seriously don't think we will ever be able to launch like a really well set up clutch bike.

Sorry it couldn't be more.. I was just exhausted... the video will get sharper in a little while.

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
Fuel delivery on both bikes? :confused: Is that crud in your filter? What happened to James' bike?

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is alky jelly... it is soft, not like sand. When I drain the tank I can never get the very last bit of alky.. I try to dilute it with gas and then flush it out but there always seems to be this mushy crap in the line. It clogs the jets sometimes.

I am going to change the tank so I can get it completely and totally empty after each event.

Poor james drove all the way out there and couldn't seem to get the 38s in tune. He just didn't have the time to find the problem. Then he threw on the 36s at the last moment and the bike was blowing 9s up the hill. Instead of testing over and over and risking hurting the bike on nirtous, he called it quits.

He will be ready and able for the next race. I should have the demons ready to go by next race too.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mmmmm, Jelly

Z-mann might remember at St Anthony. My bike wouldn't start. I drained the bowls and got some fresh fuel in there it fired right up...It feels like jelly so I call it alky jelly. I don't know what it really is... If you let it dry out it is a fine white powder...

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
You guys need to get there by Wednesday next time... iron out all the bugs. When I went, it took me a FULL day to get the jetting and clutch dialed in for the race hill.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I work Camo.. I would absolutely get there at least a day early to get the bike ready if I could. I will try and go on friday night after work next time.

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
mmmmm, Jelly

Z-mann might remember at St Anthony. My bike wouldn't start. I drained the bowls and got some fresh fuel in there it fired right up...It feels like jelly so I call it alky jelly. I don't know what it really is... If you let it dry out it is a fine white powder...
yeah, that is pretty normal... you purging the whole fuel system with reg gas after each time you ride it? alky guys drain their tanks... then out a bit of reg gas in the tank... let the quad idle until it hits the reg gas.. and call it a day...

as far as the launch goes.... we can chat about that... from what I have read... the 60ft times some of us are cutting are the same as the clutch bikes... which means... we can, and should be leaving the same as them off the line...

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I drain and flush (the fuel) but not as thoroughly as you describe which appears to be a mistake.

As for the launch.. are these same guys big boys like us? Seems the smaller guys can pull in tight and keep the front down better...

That first and second race, it felt super strong. It was even trying to do a wheelie at the top of the hill. It has never done that before with me riding. Can't wait to get the demon carbs ready and see what a jockey can do with it. The head gasket problem is solved.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Glad to here the head gasket problem is solved. James just needed more prep time. It took me a week couple hours every day trying different combination's with my 39's.
Sucks about your filter plugging. Started doing it at Delta also.

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
yeah, they are 6ft plus.. 200lbs or so... last time at the track I was cutting 1.7 60ft times on motor and on the juice.. same as some pretty built raptors.... and they were running wheelie bars... etc..... I can't watch your bid here at home... dial up.. I will take a look in the morning and let you know..

on the alky thing... yeah, you really need to be doing it like I described.... if not... jelly... or some nasty clogs...

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Curious... do you launch with nitrous? It's not like our bikes are complex, lean forward press the gas... I don't see what I am doing so different that would make it do a wheelie other than having a blower...just saying. :lol: No really I am asking.. I don't know what else to do...

I could try a higher stall spring maybe... maybe it would break the wheels loose easier..

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
times were all in the 1.70's.. on or off the juice.... I will drop you a pm.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
I met a guy with a Turbo Banshee running on Alcohol last year. What he would do is use his electric pump to pump all of the Alky out and back into his can. Then he would put a couple gallons of Gas in the tank and let it run for a little bit until there was gas all the way through the system.

I talked to him while he was doing this. He has been running this setup for a couple years and hasn't had any problems.

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
didn't I just say that? come on roger... stop skimming... and read the whole thread.. lol....

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
What can I say, you're just Too FAST for me. :rolleyes:

I figured you would be busy taking care of that Edge thing you were going to do. :eek:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I hate you guys are having fuel issues. I know thats frustrating as hell. I was hoping James could run this time, I know his starter/flywheel gave out on it last time out.

Erik, something that may help you out with the carb is mounting the carb front to back. Mouting the carb side to side will make the fuel slosh in the bowl from side to side and will starve the jets. I know I talked to you about my carb setup, and though not exactly the same, they are very similar and my carb guys told me that it wouldn't act right if I mounted it side to side. Just something to think about, especially if your running on rough terrain or in whoops.:)

Also what kind of methanol are you running? I switched to running M5 and don't have any of the "fuel gel" issues that I had with M1 fuel. Also if your demon carb is not setup for alky the seals and gaskets will slowly disolve and clog things up for you.

Kev

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Erik just watching that first race if you would of had a jockey the beast would of won.
You out weighed those guys by 125 lbs.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
what is different about m5? I don't even have the option of running them front to back.They have to be on top of the blower and there is barely room now.. Hopefully when I start using them that is not an issue.

Randy, I was thinking that very thing... The other bikes got radared at mid 70s, and since I was right on their ass the whole way up... does that mean the bike finally broke 70 with me on it? :)

74 maybe? They were going to radar me next but then it started acting up.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts