Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Premium unleaded and I add 1oz/gallon of Seafoam when I fill up. Fuel related issues should be less with a fuel injected engine but I’m a believer in that pump gas breaks down after about a month.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the sea foam better than a ethonal treatment?
I don't think our high octane fuel is ethonal free, will have to check on that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
high octane comes both ways depending on the state you live in. i have never seen the ethanol free in anything but premium, vp and av gas. i use the i think 93 but it might be 91, dont pay that close of attention. the research says there should be no gain from running the 91 or 93 unless you have bumped up your compression. i run it in everything but my boat and cars and after 20 years since i made the switch i think the premium lasts a little longer and the older stuff in my fleet starts a little better. we did not have time to ride the 2 wheelers last year so my wifes klx 140 did not get started and for what ever reason i was to lazy to go out and treat the fuel. this week i thought i better get it going and 18 ish month old untreated fuel in a carb motor started with little difficulty. i pulled the carb to do some jetting after i started it and there was no gunk or varnish

·
Registered
31 Posts
I guess that depends on where you buy your fuel. Where I live we have premium non ethanol recreational fuel. It states this right on the pump.

·
Registered
503 Posts
higher octane

if you run too high octane in an engine that does not need it you will loose horsepower.
however i also us highest octane i can for storage.

i also use fitch fuel catalyst pellets.
my dad was carrier marine/army and the motor pool guys swore by it for storage.

higher octane gas burns slower, it is more resistant to knock when subjected to higher RPM and cylinder pressures. Compression ratios also factor into cylinder pressures. Higher ratios cause higher cylinder pressures and therefore cause the engine to be more susceptible to pre-detonation or knock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So is it more beneficial to run "regular" instead of 91 for everyday use, and add treatment? Where i live 91 is our best, which is what i have been using.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Buy Ethanol free if you can find it! Owners manual says minimum 87 Octane Rating. So 87 and up should be fine. We are in the "corn belt" and with all the farmers here they push ethanol like Salt N Pepa Push "it"! While automobiles were required to be ethanol compliant in 2001, small engines like lawn mowers, trimmers, chainsaws, ATVs, boats, etc were not! My new Stihl saw even says using ethanol may harm engine and can void the warranty. As a small engine repairman if ethanol is good for engines! LOL! If you let your fuel sit more than a couple weeks, get ethanol free. It starts to "gum up" after just a couple of weeks and is horrible for (deteriorates) rubber fuel lines, gaskets, and plus up carburetors !

·
Registered
109 Posts
According to the owner's manual they are designed to use ethanol blend fuel. With that being said, I would still treat it or use ethanol free if you're not going to burn through the tank of gas within a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
farmer_74
Kawasaki ATV Forum
KawieRiders.com is the largest Kawasaki ATV owner's forum with information for the Kawasaki KFX700, Brute Force, Prairie, Bayou, Mojave, Lakota and older model Kawasaki ATV's!
Full Forum Listing