Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 BF 650 straight axle that ..in my opinion, gets terrible fuel economy. I don't ride it a lot or hard. It only has about 800 miles. I noticed this past week running it in 4X4 while scraping snow off the driveway, that I've gone through a tank of fuel with maybe a couple hours max use.

Anyone else have one that just eats gas?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I was surprised by the appetite of the 650 as well. I had been told by a friend on a 500 sportsman that his brother's 650 was a hog. He said the sportsman has about 3 gal. but the 650 still refuels at the same times on the trail. I've run mine till it flashed, rode about 6 miles to the house, and only put 3.5 gallons into the 4.8 gallon tank. I'm sure cause I just load it up and haul 7 miles to the store instead of trying to turn up a 5 gal. can. I have observed and settle on 12-15 mpg average. I don't fart around when I ride so I guess 15-20 might be a better overall avg. The 350 honda I graduated from seemed to get 25-30 and I rode it the same way. However, it was just a little over half the cc's and horsepower. I'm just wondering if kawasaki built a 1.5 gallon lie into the fuel guage or if mine's off. Nevertheless, I don't leave home with less than half. I can usually make it flash within an hour or so. I guess that's the price you pay fo a hot rod quad!

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
You should be seeing 50-75 miles to a tank with a 650 depending on how you ride Also secondary spring makes a difference. don't expect great fuel mileage is you are running a red or yellow secondary spring.

With my modded clutch you can get 65 with a bbk easily, I've been told near 90-100 pussy footing on stock internal prairie 700's but I've never seen that.

John

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
My carbed 750 would get about 10 mpg riding kinda hard. My efi 750 does slightly better. Pushing snow is definitely gonna eat some gas.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 650 SRA only get around 12-15 mpg. When I'm pushing snow maybe 6-10 tops. She's pretty thirsty. Got a buddy with a Sportsman 500 getting around 28.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
Mine will run about 6-7 hours on a tank when plowing snow. Your choke may be sticking on.
When my engine was internally stock (cut clutch, Dyna, V force cams, pipe) I could go as far as 85-90 miles to a tank while easy trail riding (cruising at 30-50 mph). I could only go 65 miles when it was bone-stock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have not tested to see how far I can go after my fuel gauge starts to blink on my 06 BF750. Anybody know approximately how long or how many miles one can go once it starts to blink? I know I don't get squat for mileage on my bike...compared to the Sportsman I used to have. It is also time-consuming filling the BF up to the top of the neck. Seems like it takes fuel for awhile after the bubbles creep up the fill neck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
mine is awful maybe 10MPG

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
I know I don't get squat for mileage on my bike...compared to the Sportsman I used to have. It is also time-consuming filling the BF up to the top of the neck. Seems like it takes fuel for awhile after the bubbles creep up the fill neck.
Your Brutes are Twins, they will eat more gas over a single. The Brutes are alao geared for the low/mid-range powerband, that too eats more gas.
If you aren't removing the white tube that sits in the fuel tank neck during re-fills, then try it. Your tank will fill quickly, you shouldn't fill to the top of the neck either, allow the gas to expand in the hot gas tank, fill to the bottom of the neck, then reinstall the white tube. The white tube is to prevent splashing and forcing the gas up into the neck then weakening the by-pass gas check valve.

·
Registered
402 Posts
4x4 engaged and pushing snow will eat more fuel.i can run over 45mi on a tank of gas in my 750.and that is riding it hard.face it,you could've got a honda and got 70mi to a gallon,but you wanted power.well,you got power my friend.stick that fuel nozzle in,fill 'er up and burn baby burn!!!!!!!:rock:

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you aren't removing the white tube that sits in the fuel tank neck during re-fills, then try it. Your tank will fill quickly, you shouldn't fill to the top of the neck either, allow the gas to expand in the hot gas tank, fill to the bottom of the neck, then reinstall the white tube. The white tube is to prevent splashing and forcing the gas up into the neck then weakening the by-pass gas check valve.
i was not aware the white neck moved???

·
Registered
40 Posts
a lot of low range gear riding will make it use more and use 2wd where you can.
i do a lot of road riding on mine and see about 70 miles from a full tank to the light starting flashing. even when the light flashes i seem to get at least 10+ miles out of it.
however when on the farm in the wet fields with low range and 4wd it dissappears so fast i can't believe it, and petrol isn't cheap over here.... but its all fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i was not aware the white neck moved???
I was not aware it moved either...does it just pull out? I have never done a true test of mpg. Seems like I get around 45-50 miles before light blinks pushing snow in low and 4X4. This in all around bone stock fashion. This mileage issue made me nervous while riding on the Piaute Trail years ago:eek:. Load up the fuel packs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I plowed snow the other week for 10 hours straight in 4x4 and in and out of low range and went throught a tank of gas only covering 26 miles (of sidewalks).

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Everything tuned right my stock 650 about 70 or 5 mi ...piped, dg air in, hole shots, 6% key, My squeezer Clutch, cut, weighted, pink spring primary, yellow stripe spring stock secondary , Riding not real aggressive 90ish on vapors. This is on a 02 .
This thing has just been a 10 all the way on having no problems. Its worked like a small tractor, ridin a lot 7000mi, but just maintained right. Tires and change oil as should.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was going to ask the question about distance and found this. I put about 55 miles of slow trail riding on over the last few days. A fair bit of 4x4 low range and some 2 high. I noticed that from 3 or 4 bars to a blinking bar was only about 10 miles, kind of crazy. I have go 80-100 miles on the 300 Honda and still had not gone on reserve. I know that there is a difference between a 300 and a 650 brute but tell me that miles in the woods and out of fuel. Lol..

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm dooing 100mi+ per tank riding snow trails and never drop below 30mph exept for tight corners
pulling 28's itp mudlites
but my HEEL CLICKERS are dooing all the job and they pull really hard above 20mph on the provided primary spring they sell you in their kit
Running only a k&n for now till the msd's are ready for efi's
the clickers are set with a long bolt with 2 washers on top hole and the same in the middle one
my father is running the same setup on his 06 and is not looking back and gets the same mpg that i do.
we both top off at 65mph(for real not indicated)since we run oversize tire's
i said it before ,toss those dalton's and not even saying anything about epi's
to anyone tuning in doubt ,"overdrive" tell you anything.

only heel clickers has overdrive

sure dalton can move weight's around also but they dont have overdrive

they work wonder's in snowmobile's

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
The Heelclickers call themselves 'overdrive', but are not.
Overdrive is a condition in which you change the actual stock top gear ratio. In the case of the Kawi CVT, it means you have to change how far the primary clutch can physically squeeze together. You can get a higher (overdrive) gear ratio by using a Dalton clutch cover, or get an even higher ratio by machining the clutch. This will give you better fuel milage.
All ANY company's weights and springs can do to increase fuel milage is to reduce the RPM's at a given speed. If you run light springs and heavy weights you will reduce the RPM's, but kill your power and throttle response in the bargain.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
I plowed snow the other week for 10 hours straight in 4x4 and in and out of low range and went throught a tank of gas only covering 26 miles (of sidewalks).
That's about what I get when plowing.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
I was going to ask the question about distance and found this. I put about 55 miles of slow trail riding on over the last few days. A fair bit of 4x4 low range and some 2 high. I noticed that from 3 or 4 bars to a blinking bar was only about 10 miles, kind of crazy. I have go 80-100 miles on the 300 Honda and still had not gone on reserve. I know that there is a difference between a 300 and a 650 brute but tell me that miles in the woods and out of fuel. Lol..
On long rides I will burn exactly double the fuel that a Honda 300 burns. Of course, I'm having twice the fun in the bargain, lol.
It's all about planning. I carry extra fuel when needed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts