Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't received my service manual yet to read up on this topic so I have a question....I thought one of the benifits to FI was that it regulated the air/fuel mixture through sensors to take the place of re-jetting carbs. Why do you need upgrade your fuel maps when adding a pipe and changing the air box? Shouldn't it make it's own adjustments like it does with elevation changes? I am familiar with EFI systems on cars/trucks, so I am assuming they are a bit different than my quad:confused::confused: Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
ATV fuel injection lacks on thing a car has, a Oxygen sensor so it can't tell you added a pipe, intake, cams etc.

The reason it compensates for elevation is the air intake pressure sensor. It acts like barometric pressure gauge and it also measures load on the engine.

The other sensors are:

air intake temp
speed
crank position
air intake pressure
water temp

I am sure I am leaving one out.

A O2 sensor can't take water and it would make the EFI system much more expensive.

Also on cars the O2 sensor runs in closed loop meaning uses the O2 sensor only at cruise when you put a load on it it goes back to open loop, it uses the MAPs someone programmed for it, hence the tuners for cars that are sold now.

Todd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info....I guess I'll have to save a few extra bucks before I make some mods to the intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can get the autotune to go with the Power Commander V, but you have to install an O2 bung in the exhaust header.

·
Registered
124 Posts
yes you need a base map, but I didn't know any of the fuel programmers came with an ignition module?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Soon MSD will have one for the Brute that is a ignition/fuel controller

The power commander III has a add on ignition module.

Velocity Devices has a replacement ECU that does both too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts