Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Fuel pump problems

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  gtsum2 
#1 ·
Hey have a 2008 brute force 750 bogging when hot and was told it was the fuel pump. Looking for a used one , if anyone has one throw me a line.
Thanks a billion

#6 ·
Mine went out on my 12. Would run good until I nailed the throttle and then it would sputter and bog out. I suspected fuel pump and dealer confirmed it yesterday. They r replacing under warranty. New one is priced @$580 online, so they r not cheap. I think some have used other pumps for cheaper though.

#7 ·
hey guys it was my fuel pump. i did a flow test on it as per the service maual. it is supposed to pump for 3 seconds when you turn the key on and in that 3 seconds it is supposed to pump out a minimum of 1.7 ounces of fuel. i unhooked the fuel line from the throttle body connection and put that end into a measuring cup with ounces on it. when i first turned the key i was only getting 0.5 ounces of fuel through the pump. thats less than a third of the minimum flow so i knew it was a bad pump. i phoned and a new one was $620 and i couldnt believe it. i wasnt going spend that much money before trying to clean the old pump. i took the pump out of the tank and noticed a bunch of debris in my tank and stuck to the bottom of the pickup on the pump so i decided to clean them both. the pump comes apart in 3 pieces and i let that soak in CLR for a few hours while i removed the tank and cleaned it out. i then put the pump back together and submerged it in the CLR and hooked it up to the quad so i could pump the CLR through it. after only 3 cycles of the key i had 3.25 ounces of flow going through the pump. i coudnt belive that the CLR really worked! i then submerged the pump in clean fuel and cycled the pump to clean the CLR out of it. i was still consistenly getting a flow of 3.25 ounces of fuel for every key cycle so i put the pump back in the tank and reinstalled everything back on the quad. my quad fired right up and is still running great today with no problems. it cost me about $20 for the CLR instead of $620 for a new pump. i also cleaned my gas cans out as they might have contributed to the debris inside the tank. i will be very careful now when fueling up my quad so this doesnt happen again. i hope this works for you guys as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.