Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
2022 Mule Pro FXT LE
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! We just got a 2022 Pro FXT and we are wanting to wire some lights. I'm convinced that a fuse box is better for accessories. But I have a few questions. I'm planning to purchase a Blue Sea (6) fuse box with grounding bar.

For now, I'm planning on a 54" light bar (300W), 14 light bar (80w), and a few interior dome lights

1) Can I hook the fuse box straight to the battery without a CB/fuse/relay. What is the purpose of the CB/fuse/relay on the fuse box? Im planning to use relays with all my accessories and they will be wired to the fuse box.

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
7 Posts
I did research and everyone said look into a Hester’s fuse box.

We found it to be highly recommended and ordered one. We looked into other options but his seems to be the best. We have a 4010 mule trans and we’re going to use the hot wire to battery and our fuse box will be in our front compartment because I don’t intend to put much in there.
Good luck!

· Registered
42 Posts
I did research and everyone said look into a Hester’s fuse box.

We found it to be highly recommended and ordered one. We looked into other options but his seems to be the best. We have a 4010 mule trans and we’re going to use the hot wire to battery and our fuse box will be in our front compartment because I don’t intend to put much in there.
Good luck!
I picked up Hester's 9 port for my fxt. Excellent product. Placed a breaker between the fuse box and battery as they recommended, too. I wanted to be able to run the radio when the machine was off (if we're just hanging out around it) otherwise the 6 port probably would've sufficed my needs.

· Registered
42 Posts
So...would everyone recommend Hester's vs Blue Sea fuse block?
Can't really say everyone recommends it as everyone is different and they're more expensive than the blue sea, but I'm happy with it. It comes with a relay you hook into a keyed power supply (I used one of the front 12v sockets), so it's powered when the Mule is. It's just a clean set up with mounting brackets, fuses and the 9 port comes with the power wire to the battery as well. The only supplemental item needed (in my case) was the breaker at the battery.

· Registered
42 Posts
Dose the Hester fuse box come with wiring instructions? Also, what is the purpose of the CB as I will have all accessories wire with relays and fuses. Thanks
No instructions, but the install is pretty straight forward if you're already comfortable with relays, etc. Power wire to the battery (or CB for the added protection), relay power wire from 12v socket, and ground wire to the frame. CB isn't necessary with everything being fused, but it's an added level of protection and contributes to peace of mind.

· Registered
120 Posts
"1) Can I hook the fuse box straight to the battery without a CB/fuse/relay. What is the purpose of the CB/fuse/relay on the fuse box? Im planning to use relays with all my accessories and they will be wired to the fuse box."

You want a fuse physically close to the battery to protect the wire between the battery and fuse box. If your positive wire between the battery and fuse box shorts to the frame, the fuses in the block offer it no protection. The fuse and main wire should be large enough to allow all your accessories to be "on" simultaneously You need lower amperage fuses or breakers at the relays because if one component (light, stereo...etc) would short out it probably would not draw enough current to blow the main fuse next to the battery but it could still damage wire and components that will be protected with a lower amperage fuse.

· Registered
35 Posts
I picked up Hester's 9 port for my fxt. Excellent product. Placed a breaker between the fuse box and battery as they recommended, too. I wanted to be able to run the radio when the machine was off (if we're just hanging out around it) otherwise the 6 port probably would've sufficed my needs.
Any chance of getting photos where you placed fuse box and hookup. Was it easy to install?

· Registered
23 Posts
Hello everyone! We just got a 2022 Pro FXT and we are wanting to wire some lights. I'm convinced that a fuse box is better for accessories. But I have a few questions. I'm planning to purchase a Blue Sea (6) fuse box with grounding bar.

For now, I'm planning on a 54" light bar (300W), 14 light bar (80w), and a few interior dome lights

1) Can I hook the fuse box straight to the battery without a CB/fuse/relay. What is the purpose of the CB/fuse/relay on the fuse box? Im planning to use relays with all my accessories and they will be wired to the fuse box.

Thanks in advance!
I used the Hesters 9 port waterproof fuse box and ran the 8 AWG wire to a secondary battery and used a Redarc dual battery isolater to power my accessories.

· Registered
42 Posts
Any chance of getting photos where you placed fuse box and hookup. Was it easy to install?
No pics of the install with me, but I can probably get some tonight if you're interested. Below is a screenshot of the video above and the red box is where I mounted mine on the radiator cover. I already had the SuperATV plug n play relay setup mounted where he has his shown.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire

Install was pretty straightforward as I mentioned above. The 9 port comes with the power wire from the battery. Run that through the chase back to the battery compartment and you can either hook straight to the battery or a circuit breaker (as I did), then CB to battery. It's a bit tight to get to the positive terminal on the battery, so we used the winch solenoid. Mounted the fuse block on the radiator cover and hooked up the ground wire to the frame piece under the hood/front clip. I was installing the Kawasaki radio at the same time, which included a usb/3.5mm jack port to replace one of the 12v sockets on the dash. As the 12v socket is switch activated, we used the (now unused) 12v power to the socket for the 12v signal wire to the new fuse box relay. At this point, it was ready for the accessories.

I used the Hesters 9 port waterproof fuse box and ran the 8 AWG wire to a secondary battery and used a Redarc dual battery isolater to power my accessories.
This is my eventual goal as well. I ran the 9 port as I wanted to be able to run the stereo without needing the key or the machine on, so I have it hooked to one of the 3 always-on ports. Once I get the dual battery setup, I'll switch the fuse box (and MAYBE the winch solenoid) over to the second battery. What battery did you wind up getting? Did you pick up any hold-downs for it?

· Registered
517 Posts
For the record, I bought Blue Sea brand, but have not installed it yet.
As others stated, use a circuit breaker to protect the wire that feeds the fuse box.
A continuous duty solenoid can be used so the fuse box only has power when it is activated. This will prevent anything from being powered if the solenoid is not powered. It would prevent a dead/discharged battery if something powered off the fuse box is left on, but not allow accessory use, key OFF.

· Registered
23 Posts
No pics of the install with me, but I can probably get some tonight if you're interested. Below is a screenshot of the video above and the red box is where I mounted mine on the radiator cover. I already had the SuperATV plug n play relay setup mounted where he has his shown.

View attachment 77334
Install was pretty straightforward as I mentioned above. The 9 port comes with the power wire from the battery. Run that through the chase back to the battery compartment and you can either hook straight to the battery or a circuit breaker (as I did), then CB to battery. It's a bit tight to get to the positive terminal on the battery, so we used the winch solenoid. Mounted the fuse block on the radiator cover and hooked up the ground wire to the frame piece under the hood/front clip. I was installing the Kawasaki radio at the same time, which included a usb/3.5mm jack port to replace one of the 12v sockets on the dash. As the 12v socket is switch activated, we used the (now unused) 12v power to the socket for the 12v signal wire to the new fuse box relay. At this point, it was ready for the accessories.

This is my eventual goal as well. I ran the 9 port as I wanted to be able to run the stereo without needing the key or the machine on, so I have it hooked to one of the 3 always-on ports. Once I get the dual battery setup, I'll switch the fuse box (and MAYBE the winch solenoid) over to the second battery. What battery did you wind up getting? Did you pick up any hold-downs for it?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts