Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I've had my BF750 for a few days now and lovin it. Question though. I posted awhile ago about low-speed operation and whether or not to use low or high range. Most of you said to use high range. There is very little "load" {just cruising} even though I'm going about 10mph most of the time. It "feels" better in high range. The question I have is about the belt. If the low / high range transmission is after the CVT, wouldn't the belt / pulley speed {not MPH....} be the same in either gear, and the belt life be somewhat the same? Obviously if it is being "worked" {pulling, extreme rock crawling, long hill climbs}, it would be better off in low, just because of the ability to "finesse" the vehicle easier?

·
Registered
711 Posts
The position of the pulleys (gearing) changes with load and primary rpm Centrifical force moving the arms.Because of this in low range the rpm's will keep the clutch gripping the belt better so going in mud or up steep hills it is better in low but just cruising without a load high is fine.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The position of the pulleys (gearing) changes with load and primary rpm Centrifical force moving the arms.Because of this in low range the rpm's will keep the clutch gripping the belt better so going in mud or up steep hills it is better in low but just cruising without a load high is fine.
Thanks. That's what I thought but wanted to hear it from a pro. Appreciate the feedback. :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Belt

greasemonkey is correct..........also you stand more chance of burning your belt (slipping under load) when in high range.

Anytime you need 4x4 you may need low range also.

But sometimes you have the need for speed!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts