Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm new here, I've got a 2002 prairie 650 with the stock shocks on it, and I was going to try and adjust them tomorrow.

I know the rear preload is adjustable, but I can't tell if the fronts are due to the covers, if they are how do I get the covers off?

What I'm looking to fix is its sitting a tad high in the back, and when i turn on hard ground the front dips too much and lifts a rear wheel off the ground.

Any suggestions to fix these 2 things?

Maybe someone here has the same atv and has some recommended places to start with. I'm about 245# and 6'4" and mostly ride dirt or rocky trails in the mountains if that helps much.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Welcome to KR! The rear spring is pretty soft so unless someone has cranked the preload right up I dont know why it would be sitting up high.

The front struts are not adjustable but if you have a look at the EPI website they sell fr and rear replacement springs that are 25% stiffer for a budget price.....that will stop any unwanted roll or diving. I would think your springs would be pretty sagged being an 02 but that depends on how much use its had.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Change the front springs. EPI, as posted above, and Progressive Suspension makes a set of preload adjustable front springs. Elka used to, but I think they discontinued them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I installed some EPI front springs on my Brute 650 SRA for plowing snow. Trail manners were greatly improved. Eliminated the diving you are talking about. I would highly recomend them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice!

I think it just looks like the rear is up higher, it feels ok riding.

I guess I need to buy some new springs, woulda though they would have preload adjustment at least but oh well :D

It has about 900 hours/2500 miles (this thing was owned by someone who drove slow before i got it!!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also have a 02 prairie and had the same problem especially when my wife rode with me. My local dealership told me when prairie 1st came into production they put to soft of springs on atv. They corrected this problem in 03. So what I done on my 02 prairie was purchased a complete set of hd spring from Highlifter. This corrected the dip in the front and the front raising up. All 3 springs cost me $200 from HL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts