Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been interested in testing a helmet camera system for a while now, but nothing ever really stood out and screamed at us until this cool little product showed itself. Introducing the GoPro Hero Motosports Camera, a neat little, high-quality product that is sweeping the offroad, automobile, and extreme-sports world. Before placing our order with Riverbanksoutdoorstore.com, they assured us that this is the way to go for on-board filming on ATVs. They answered all of the questions we had and then some, so we placed our order for the new 5.0 Megapixel GoPro Hero.

Lucky for us, our package arrived in just a few days, and we couldn't wait to rip it open and try it out. Right away, from the packaging alone, it was evident that this isn't one of those cheap, kid-like cameras. The camera is displayed in a clear plastic box on a pedestal. It's a lot smaller than it looked in pictures, which is good. The 5.0 Megapixel camera fits snugley inside the water & shock proof housing, and is easily removed by unclamping the sealed door on the back. They say it's waterproof up to 100' deep, and we believe it! The built-in lense on the housing provides 170 degrees of view, which is perfect for getting that wide on-board footage. The camera comes with a USB cable for easy uploading to your computer, a couple different helmet mounts, and a strap for mounting. Batteries are available from Riverbanksoutdoorstore.com if you wish to purchase them. GoPro makes additional mounts for a variety of applications, so we also purchased a handlebar mount that can also mount to the frame.

The camera is very easy to use, and there's only two buttons on it so it doesn't take long to get used to the functions. There are two different settings for audio, so you'll have to mess around with them to see which grants the best results for you. You can also choose for it to take a still photo now and then, which is very neat. We mounted it quick and easily to the handlebars, and also the front part of the frame. You can mount it in a variety of locations with the mount provided, and even more if you choose to get the handlebar mount kit like we did. Experimenting with different views from the front, back, or sides of the ATV will keep you busy for a long time and make for some really great footage. We haven't even tried it on our helmet yet, but we're thinking you probably won't even notice it's there.

So far we absolutely love this little GoPro Hero Motorsports Camera. The quality of the video was very impressive for a camera under $200, and there is no skimping at all in the construction of it. We haven't had the pleasure to drown it or crash it into something yet, but we don't forsee any problems with it standing up to normal off-road abuse. If you love to videotape your outdoor excursions, you really do need one of these. The small size keeps it out of the way, it's waterproof and durable, takes amazing video, and is a steal at $199.99! Check out the Riverbanksoutdoorstore.com website or call them at 1-888-685-7339 to place your order now!

Quality: 5/5
Performance: 4/5
Installation: 5/5
Value: 4/5
Overall: 4.5/5

Purchase here: http://www.riverbanksoutdoorstore.com/serv...o-Action/Detail

Sample Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxvCCec_Aso...player_embedded

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
that's a nice set up, good video also

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
The con with the gopro is the sound quality. Its muffled, most likely due to being in the waterproof enclosure.

They are smaller than you would think. but still stick up higher on the helmet than others.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
best I`ve seen too.
Really good quality.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mind you guys giving your opinions of the products also, but let's refrain from posting anything about prices. The company was nice enough to support KR and let us test out their product, and they have the right to charge whatever they feel is right.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
That's what we've been looking at getting just a few days ago. I really like the wide angle lens option seems to be a great product with 170 degrees of lens vision. You tube has lots of videos made with these cameras to watch, I thnk it's the best camera on the market for the money. Hands down. :tup:

Sweet track Screamin, I wish I had something like that to head to close to home.

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
The company was nice enough to support KR and let us test out their product
[/b]
Ummm, I think I need to test it :D

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Got mine in today

Damn it is tiny it could fit in a pack of cigarettes with room to spare looks awesome. I'll get a vid for you guys.

I got it to video the VFJ ride on Saturday.

I am 100% pleased with the looks of it as well as the 4-5 mounting adapters that came with it.

I'd HIGHLY recomend it to anyone looking for a nice helmet cam

John

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Well I picked up a GoPro a few weeks ago, I must say it's so sweet and very impressive video quality for it's size. I don't have any riding vids to post yet, my swingarm is still missing in action from my quad. But it is cool to mount on any vehicle and hit the trails or roads. Price was very reasonable also. Should get some nice footage on the St.Anthony's trip.

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
I'm really tempted on getting one myself, any downsides found yet?

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Well it wasn't free. and you had to buy 2 aaa batteries and a 2 gig sd card.

John
[/b]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If you buy one get rechargable batteries for it Andy. You only get about 1hr of camera juice while filming from the batteries, so rechargable is the way to go, but they need to be lithium batteries only.

It is water proof, but if your not going to be getting is submerged you can remove the rubber seal on the case which will allow sound to get to the speaker easier, plus you can set it to low sound or high sound depending on how loud your machine is. It does require some test and play time but for sure worth it.

Check out You Tube Andy there is plenty of actual video on there to see the quality.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
They say Lithium for vibration?? I think it needs the better juice.

I hope the rechargables work. I'm stealing them out of the Wii remotes.

I just got a 2 gig SD card for 5.00 at the local drug store.

going to make a vid!!

John

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I like the Duracell 2700mah batteries. I should buy this camera.

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
If you buy one get rechargable batteries for it Andy. You only get about 1hr of camera juice while filming from the batteries, so rechargable is the way to go, but they need to be lithium batteries only.

It is water proof, but if your not going to be getting is submerged you can remove the rubber seal on the case which will allow sound to get to the speaker easier, plus you can set it to low sound or high sound depending on how loud your machine is. It does require some test and play time but for sure worth it.

Check out You Tube Andy there is plenty of actual video on there to see the quality.
[/b]

Cheers :tup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts