Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for the tip on the rings. I figured they probably needed to be replaced.

So I have a new used cylinder coming, a new set of rings, a new set of seals, new c clips, and new gaskets on the way.
Bore and reassemble.
Should be ready to break in in about two weeks.馃槵

Shit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So...how many times has it been now that you broke-in.. at least some part of that top end?...lol
I lost track.馃槃
All I know is I should've bought head gaskets by the case!

Reactions: NMKAWIERIDER

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok, so this thing is really starting to piss me off. I got it all rebuilt with a stock cylinder, and went to break it in. Got 20 miles done and the damn thing started gurgling and spitting coolant out the overflow again. So it wasn't a slipped sleeve that was the problem.
I isolated the sound of the gurgling, and I think it's actually coming from the thermostat/rad cap housing. The bottom hose out of the radiator going to the water pump feels empty. What is going on???
I put a new thermostat in it and temp sensor back in the early summer, and I think both of them may be bad.
Or, I guess it could be an air pocket in the coolant. One thing of note, I've only ever drained the cylinder with that little drain screw these last two times. I've forgotten to tighten it before I added coolant and started it both times, and tightened it when it started dripping coolant. Perhaps that has put a bubble in the cylinder that won't work out. I don't know, but I'm about to push this into a six foot hole.馃槨

Super Moderator
Damnedest thing. Acts like a leaking head gasket. I guess I would ensure the thermostat is in correctly and working correctly or maybe for the time being take it out, that all the air is out of the system, that the pump is moving it with no restriction. I might also take it to a shop that can test it for exhaust gasses in the coolant system.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Damnedest thing. Acts like a leaking head gasket. I guess I would ensure the thermostat is in correctly and working correctly or maybe for the time being take it out, that all the air is out of the system, that the pump is moving it with no restriction. I might also take it to a shop that can test it for exhaust gasses in the coolant system.
So I drained the coolant, put new coolant in really slow, and took the thermostat out. It's still blowing coolant out the overflow. The gurgling is definitely in the hose going to the overflow tank, and the hoses coming out the top of the head.
There are no bubbles in the coolant when I run it with the cap off, and the coolant swishes down into the housing when I press the throttle like it has pump action.

Don't know what to do next.
I guess I can go get one of those exhaust gas testers from Autozone and see if it's a leaking head gasket?

Also, there is a stumble in the throttle now, and sometimes it struggles to get to top speed. I hope the new cylinder/piston isn't shot.....

Super Moderator
So I drained the coolant, put new coolant in really slow, and took the thermostat out. It's still blowing coolant out the overflow. The gurgling is definitely in the hose going to the overflow tank, and the hoses coming out the top of the head.
There are no bubbles in the coolant when I run it with the cap off, and the coolant swishes down into the housing when I press the throttle like it has pump action.

Don't know what to do next.
I guess I can go get one of those exhaust gas testers from Autozone and see if it's a leaking head gasket?

Also, there is a stumble in the throttle now, and sometimes it struggles to get to top speed. I hope the new cylinder/piston isn't shot.....
I would test the gasses first. Odd though...that even with the thermostat out and you kick it, it pulls the coolant down the neck like it's pressuring-up against a closed thermostat with some air trapped somewhere in it that is compressing. You would think it would just free-flow around and stay at the same level. And you did put a new cap on it...right? What pressure is it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I would test the gasses first. Odd though...that even with the thermostat out and you kick it, it pulls the coolant down the neck like it's pressuring-up against a closed thermostat with some air trapped somewhere in it that is compressing. You would think it would just free-flow around and stay at the same level. And you did put a new cap on it...right? What pressure is it?
I tried a Car Quest cap for some little Nissan car the first time this happened, then I went and got a new OEM cap for this time. They both were like 16 psi or so.

The water pump on these really can't fail so long as the chain around the shaft is good, right?

Super Moderator
The water pump on these really can't fail so long as the chain around the shaft is good, right?
Right. They can't "not" spin as long as the shaft rotates...along with the oil pump. But the impeller can loose gauge from erosion over time and pump less. But one would have to either run way too much water in it or never change the coolant...or have contamination in the coolant. Really sounds like it has or is getting air/gasses introduced into it from somewhere or there is some major restriction somewhere...to me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm thinking three things now:

Either the headbolts are stretched,

Or, the head needs the flat part planed,

Or, I didn't get all the coolant out of the head bolt holes, and some moly lube/coolant squished up into the bolt cavity and into the head gasket when I put the head on.

I've done the latter once before, and it did put coolant across a large portion of the gasket.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Also, any guesses why it has a delay in the throttle now?

Super Moderator
Also, any guesses why it has a delay in the throttle now?
Without running some tests it's just a guessing game. Check both plugs to see if one looks different..wet..ish but not with oil or gas. If there is a crack in a head, valve seat or leaking head gasket, it may be not only pumping gasses into the water jacket, but letting a little coolant into the combustion ares. Go a head and check the valves, compression again while there.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts