Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I only have about 7 hours on my '21 Mule Pro MX (base - no EPS). It's been on mountain trails for those first 7 hours, but nothing too extreme and no mudding or driving through creeks or rivers. Yesterday as I was about to load it back on the trailer, I noticed a strange gurgling or gulping sound coming from under the hood or behind the dash. It sounds like a pump is trying to send fluid somewhere, but there is a lot of air instead of just fluid. Or maybe there is water where there isn't supposed to be any. I let it idle for a while today, and same story. Upon closer inspection, the noise appears to be coming from under the middle of the cabin, just to the right of the gas pedal. When under throttle, the noise cannot be heard. I haven't noticed any performance issues, and the engine still seems to get plenty of power.

I called the dealership I bought it from to see if they could look at it, but they tell me they have a 4-5 week backlog for anything other than routine maintenance. The tech thought it could be water in the CVT and said I should try to find the drain plug, but it seems that Mules don't have them. And given that I haven't been through more than a few small puddles, I doubt that is the issue. Does anyone have any ideas for what may be causing this? As long as performance isn't suffering and the engine isn't overheating, would it be stupid to ignore this? The other option is to try to go raise hell at the dealership to get it looked at faster, but I'm guessing it would still be out of commission for a few weeks at a minimum. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Coolant is full in radiator and level is where it should be in the overflow reservoir. I ended up taking off the dash and footwell area last night to try and diagnose. The sound is coming out of one of the large vent ducts/pipes that runs from the floor under your feet to up under the hood behind the dash. I think it is a cooling duct. When I disconnected the coupler that was connecting two pieces of the duct, the sound went away. I tried reconnecting the coupler as tight as possible, and I still get the sound, although not as bad as it was. If I lift an edge of the coupler and allow air to escape from the duct pipe, the sound goes away. I guess because it doesn't have the pressure needed to cause the gurgling/slurping sound.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Might be the duct that supplies the air filter. See if you can get it to uncouple and raise the back end and see if water drains out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same sound with my new 2019 Mule Pro-MX EPS. Less than 15 Hrs. Haven't been through water, not sure if it is a gurgling or more of a rubbing of plastic sound?
A real pain for me to get to the dealership, so please post if you find anything out.
Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts