Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my brute force 650i about a year and always noticed it being hard to start after sitting a week. I’ve seen suggestions of adding an electric fuel pump which I may still do but for now I went low tech and put one of those primer pumps that are normally used on boats on the fuel line feeding the carbs. I just reach down and squeeze it a few times until I feel pressure and it fires right up. It may not be the best solution but it’s cheap.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought a 2011 Brute from my friend and that thing is so aggravating to start. I wonder if your fix could help my issue? Can you give me more specifics please?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On mine I had to remove the right side and rear body plastics, remove the electronics from the tray (carefully noting where everything goes) and remove the plastic electronics tray just to get to the fuel pump. Then I located the fuel line from the pump to the carbs, cut it, removed a few inches (enough for the primer) and instal the primer in line with the arrow pointing at the carb. Make sure it’s in a place where you can get your hand on it when the plastics are back on. I actually replaced the fuel line with clear fuel line so I know when I’ve got fuel. Then put everything back together. I ordered the pump from amazon but I imagine any boat shop is going to have them just make sure it’s made for the size fuel line on yours, I believe mine is 3/8.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On second thought you should be able to get this done by only removing the right side plastic body panel. I removed the rest to replace the line from the fuel pickup to the pump input. It looked old and cracked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve had my brute force 650i about a year and always noticed it being hard to start after sitting a week. I’ve seen suggestions of adding an electric fuel pump which I may still do but for now I went low tech and put one of those primer pumps that are normally used on boats on the fuel line feeding the carbs. I just reach down and squeeze it a few times until I feel pressure and it fires right up. It may not be the best solution but it’s cheap.
Hello,

I am not sure if the 650 is a lot like the 750, but I would adjust the valves to spec and sure that the idle circuit is not adjusted much too high.

I just solved an ongoing hard start problem with mine. Adjusting the valves helped, but didn't solve it. I rejetted the carb, and it ran great but still was hard to start

The last trip out, it would not start at all to back it off of the truck. I adjusted the valves (the intake was super tight), it started. After getting it running, I adjusted the idle as far down as it would go and run. After that, it has been starting easier. The previous owner had the idle jacked up (probably from the carb needed adjusted from the ignition pipe etc).. Having the throttle blades open too far can lower the effective vacuum on the fuel pump, thus causing the lack of fuel in the carb bowls. If I would squirt some gas down the carbs, it would start right away.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts