Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got everything apart and disconnected all except for that one main bolt that goes through the top of the swingarm. I got the nut off, but I can't get the bolt to even budge. I broke a good 3/4" Craftsman socket last night and almost my arm. Is there some trick to this ? Help please...

·
Registered
637 Posts
You may have a bent or severely worn bolt. If so a good long session with a good sawzall is in order. You'll have to carefully cut it at both sides near the frame pivots and where it mounts near the engine. I've had to do it before.It sux!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have also seen the bolt get rusted inside the bearing race and then you just have to cut it out like jonboy said. Good thing swing arm bolts are still available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ouch!! I think I'll just keep the swingarm that's on it then and replace the rear housing only (that's what's bad anyhow). thanks!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Eventually you'll need to replace them swinger bearing that are probably already in bad shape. It would be a real good idea to go ahead and remove the bolt.

·
Registered
722 Posts
the bolt is 58 bucks I had to cut mine out it was rusted into the engine it was easy to cut out then I used a ball joint press and some round stock and heat small propane torch and it came right out I would get it done before the bearings freeze up and you crack the cases

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dang.... well, this sounds like it's gonna be a lot of fun, but I guess I had bette do something. seems like Suzuki would have had better sense than to make these things so poorly. ah well, I guess anything's better than cracking the engine... grrr... thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It happens to all kinds of bikes man not just suzuki's. That is just one area that not many people think about when it comes to maintance. I pull mine out often to make sure there is plenty of grease in there. I have had to cut out a couple before to, it sucks but eventually we all go through it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, I was looking last night and I couldn't find a single grease fitting on that bike.... anywhere.... not even on the a-arms. that's just silly. I had a 1993 Yamaha Warrior before that had them overkill, but at least the thing stayed good and lubed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts