Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just trying to get some input on which ones to go with.
I see there is one on ebay made of HDPE but am not sure

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Ricochets, I just ordered the Full Belly plates and use the ATVMAG25 in the coupon block for 10% off, then I ordered the Aluminum Products for the a/arm guards @ $106 shipped off of ebay. Aluminum Products full kit is a good set too, I've used both brands on my Brutes, they work and protect excellent.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply
i will check them out

·
Registered
652 Posts
Gotta add my 2 cents...Just remember what happens when 1/8" or 3/16" aluminum hits a rock or boulder at 50mph....been there done that with the 1/4" HDPE ones and I KNOW it literally saved my rearend...and skids are still fine...yeah the ones on ebay are probably mine and I can hook you up with a little better deal here if you shoot me a PM...

·
Registered
212 Posts
go with the HDPE. Quieter, slipprey over stuff, just scratches, no dents.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes I'm still making hdpe skids for Brutes Prairies Outlanders Renegades and some Rangers.. search hdpe Brute skids on eBay for all info and PICS... as usual I can give you a little better deal here. I can shoot you a pm with that info.... ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a full set of Chucks skids on my 2013 and am very happy with them. All rocks and stumps here and aluminum would only grab and dent.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have not had either, however the other guy I ride with now has Alum. after destroying the HDPE ones a couple of times.

Not to say the HDPE are not good, he is just an aggressive rider that crawls/hops over log and rocks all the time, they just didn't hold up to his riding style.

His Alum. are doing much better, never hear him saying anything about dents or problem with the Alum. grabbing going over things.

If you do lots of woods and rocks (climbing/exploring) I would say Alum. is the way to go from what I have seen.

FWIW, I will be going Alum. a-arms, front Bash and rear, the mid is already steel for the plow.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Go HPDE. it's very easy to work with, bends easily. Just get the good stuff and not the recycled plastic that has the red, blue, green speckles in it. that seems to crack easier.

I just made a set for my teryx 750 and teryx 800 and my Brothers 1100 Redline sxs, I was totally surprised how easy it was to bend and form.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have Ricochet aluminum on this Prairie and my previous Prairie. They hold up very well, have taken a lot of abuse with no problem.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have Chuck750's HDPE skids on both of my Brutes and they are great. I had aluminum on my Foreman and after a few rides I needed to pull them to work on it. They were dented and the mounting bolts bent and twisted. I broke a couple of bolts off in the frame. I've never had that problem with HDPE.
Also HPDE does really slide over logs and rocks easier and doesn't rattle like aluminum does.
Chuck750's price beats aluminum too.
I'm an aggressive rider also and have beat the crap out of mine. Like a Timex, they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Lets see........ Cheap plastic or solid aluminum to protect the under bottom of an $8000 investment, not including all the $ for accessories? Thats a no brainer!:D

·
Registered
652 Posts
Lets see........ Cheap plastic or solid aluminum to protect the under bottom of an $8000 investment, not including all the $ for accessories? Thats a no brainer!:D
I shouldn't have to defend these but don't knock em till you try em .. These aren't anything like the factory cheap a$$ plastic that will rip and tear off ... 1/4" HDPE is pretty much dent proof and some solid stuff :D

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
you make them for other vehicles like rhino's?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Ive made my own skids, aluminum and hdpe, I will only use hdpe from now on. One good thing about them is when you hit a rock, hdpe skids slide where aluminum seems to stick. Also, hdpe is a lot cheaper to buy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
CHUCKED, you speak volumes when you say hdpe are alot cheaper buy! They're lot cheaper to buy because they're alot cheaper! The old adage is true..... you get what you pay for. I go over rocks ,logs etc no prob with aluminum skid , then again im not afraid to spend the money to protect my investment!

·
Registered
652 Posts
you make them for other vehicles like rhino's?
Sorry no Rhino's ... Brute's - Prairies - Outlanders - Renegades - Rangers - Grizz 700's and King Quad's...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts