Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am new here though I have researched a lot from the groups threads. Thank you for all that info. I recently got an 85 Bayou 185. Here is what I have done to get it running as it is now.

- Oil change.
- Carb cleaned.
- New air filter.
- Found timing chain cam gear one tooth off placing the indicator just rear of the pointer on the head. I corrected this by indexing gear one tooth in the chain and now have it so the line with the circle just ahead of the "T" on the flywheel is at the indicator at the same time the indicator on the cam gear is aligned with the Pointer on the head. Hope that was clear.
- Adjusted the valves.
- Replaced Cam cover and Valve adjusting cap O-rings

Ok, now for the problems.

#1 - I keep getting some kind of sticky residue on the engine side of the throttle valve (like there is some sticky blow back from the engine). Short of a damaged intake valve or seat, I don't know what else this could be caused by. The motor seems to be in great shape but I haven't opened her up other than the cam gear cover. This sticky residue obviously eventually causes throttle issues soon after a fresh carb cleaning.

#2 - Any one else getting a bit of oil on the motor just below the cam gear cover? Even after replacing the O-ring it seemed it was still getting a bit oily there.

Thanks for any help any of you may be able to provide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Side note.

I was considering sea foaming and then readjusting valves. I doubt carbon build up is keeping the valve open but figured I'd try what I could before tearing it down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts