Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Bayou 300 4x4. I can't keep the plug free of carbon. After only a short time of riding it, it starts to not want to speed up, it backfires, runs real bad. I change or clean the plug, then it will run fine for a short while. I put a new carb but nothing changed. I adjusted the fuel/air screw, still the same. Could it be that the valves need adjusting? I did notice a hole in the airbox. would this cause any problems? All help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
is your carb boot split? if your valves were never adjusted that could be it.did it always run bad or just start running bad?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using the right plug, air filter is clean, it does have a choke. I'm going to my camp where the bike is this weekend. I'm going to try changing the gas, adjusting the valves and I will check the carb boot. Thanks for all this. I will post after the weekend whether any of this helped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carbon on plug

I changed the gas and put seafoam in it. I checked the choke it works fine. I adjusted the intake and exhaust valves. The intake was tight and the exhaust loose. I adjusted the air/fuel screw. It seemed to be running better. But after the second day of riding bike, it started running bad and backfiring again. I adjusted the air/fuel screw again. Was running good when I left camp to go home. I'm wondering if I could have a electrical problem. The Ignition coil has been changed. I tried seeing if the bike would run if I disconnected the battery. My 2002 Honda rancher, i can start it , disconnect the positive side of the battery and it will continue to run. But on my 1993 Kawasaki it kills. Should it keep running on it also? Could a electrical problem be causing the bike to run bad. It always seems to start running bad once it gets hot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The engine does not smoke/use oil. It does start with the battery. But I do have to charge the battery with a charger sometime. Can a bad battery cause it to run bad,backfire etc? I fixed the hole in the airbox.

·
Registered
379 Posts
OK..............

The engine does not smoke/use oil. It does start with the battery. But I do have to charge the battery with a charger sometime. Can a bad battery cause it to run bad,backfire etc? I fixed the hole in the airbox.

Ok.......You need to check your charging system to see if its charging.
If the charging system is not charging and the machine is running off the battery only it will eventually run the battery down and cause low voltage for the ignition system. If this happens your engine will miss, backfire, etc. and get progressively worse as the battery discharges.

Crank your engine and turn on your lights. Then throttle up the engine and see if the lights get brighter. If the lights don't get brighter then you may have a charging system failure issue.

keep us posted............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the information Camo Joe. I'm going to try checking the charging system this weekend. Sometimes when the bike starts running bad the battery is low.

·
Registered
5 Posts
300 bayou 4x4 1993 carbon on plugs, stalling,

I have the same problem. i've replaced the battery, had the carb rebuilt, constantly change the oil and have to use new spark plugs all the time it seems. Air filter is clean and it runs well- when it decides to. It'll run great and then stall out, lose power, then take off or simply putter out and die, then not start.. sometime i can wait 30 minutes and then it fires right up... Any help w/ this would be great @@

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 95 bayou4x4300 fouled plugs quite often, but I just this past weekend adjusted the valves, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MADE! My valves were both tight and loose(each different), so after I got that done and changed the plug, it had what felt like 10 more hp(not really, but you know what I mean). Also, I have fought with a bad stator for 6 months(finally rewinding the coils myself), and THAT took away most of the backfiring, sputtering off idle, and fartiness in the old bayou. If you have a known good batt., and you are STILL having to charge a batt, then you have a stator prob.(usually).

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have/had the same issues w/ backfire, start stop, stall, etc.. etc.. I had the carb cleaned and put in new plugs etc but that didnt help. From what i have tried, its just the lack of riding mine often. i put some fuel additive in the gas tank (sold at most 4 wheeler dealerships) that neutralizes cheap gas and ethanol, and ran it for a bit to get the old gas out of the lines. then i drained the rest of the gas, cleaned out the gas tank and put in 100% gas and a little seafoam. Before i ran it again, i put in an inline fuel filter from the gas on/off/reserve valve to the carb. It ran well and the in line filter (similar to this one) Visu-Filter Large Capacity In-Line Fuel Filter - BikeBandit.com really caught some gunk. I also changed the oil and oil filter twice. The first time i changed it and put in a little seafoam as well and then ran it for a bit and changed it out again. Now it seems to be running very wel.. maybe this will help..

·
Registered
37 Posts
How does one check valves and adjust? Very new to anything mechanical on these things.

I have a 91 and 93 Bayou 220 and a 05 300 that I want to check and correct if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm with CaptTony...How does one check and adjust the valves?? Been havin problems with fouling plugs,It'll run all day just great,but every time I shut it off I have to replace the plug before it will start again...sounds like I need the valves adjusted because I have done everything else according to your forum posts...You guys are great and your posts are greatly appreciated..this is the best forum for Kawasaki Bayou 300's..I have a 91' by the way..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts