Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I live in Calgary Canada and bought the trike as a winter project. I did know it didn't have spark when I bought it, but must admit wasn't up on how hard it is to come by parts for it.

Had some Honda trikes a while back and was hoping to see what a two stroke with full suspension can put out. The bike seems to be in good condition other than the spark issue, and I don't want to let it die just because I cant get ignition, then again I am not going to sink $500 into ignition before finding out if the rest operates.

I have ohmed out the magneto, seems to check, and the spark coil is fine having checked it on a shop unit. The CDI is visually rough and is obviously way off of the specs from the factory service manual (i.e. some that are supposed to have resistance aren't ohming at all.

Anybody have any leads on this? new seems impossible to find, and I would be happy for any working used.

Much appreciated, great forum.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tecate trikes had an issue w stators and flywheels... they were known for it.. unless there is a broken wire to the coil there is prob a stator problem.
check out 3wheelerworld.com.. jswinehart does flywheel incapsating (sp lol) that is a huge improvement over stock.
I run a rickeystator repro on my 86 that works perfectly as well..
good luck!
see you on 3ww.com
MIK6/ Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. I should pull the flywheel either way, and have a peek. Im not saying that it isnt the stator as well, but the CDI is in bad shape.

Insulation on two wires right at the CDI box is broken, and it would pretty hard to solder and reinsulate given the proximity to each other. The kill switch wire from the cdi is also broken off right at the box. I wouldnt be surprised if things were shorting out between these and cooked it.

So I'll pull the flywheel and have a peek around, but still thinking this CDI needs replacement. There must have been other bikes and years this CDI was used on. looking through ebay there are a number of CDI's that look identical for KX model bikes up to the kx400, but difficult to take the gamble.

Has anyone looking into parts numbers to see if there is a range of models that this CDI supported? That could help in widening the net a bit when looking for used.

·
Registered
87 Posts
From the dealer. $300. Should I do it?
Throw a wanted to buy add on 3ww.. I know the guys over there will help you out
My 1st gen T3 is down rite now or id pull one of me spares to test and hook you up, I cant test it w/o the running 1st gen.. I blew a waterpump seal and cant start it..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike!

I'll head over to 3ww. On the off chance you had time to test one of your spares by pluggin it in and hand cranking the engine with the plug out, id definitely buy one off you.

Cheers!

·
Registered
452 Posts
The CDI number is written on the tag on the front of the CDI. Any CDI with the same # will interchage, even the KX 2 wheelers used that number for a while.
If you don't have the number or it's no longer ledgable let me know and I'll give it to you.
[email protected]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the help. I think that will get me in the right direction. There is a bike boneyard in town, I'll head out there when the weather is a bit warmer and see what I can find for CDI's now I know that if the numbers match I am gold.

If not, I'll pull a KX 250 ignition system complete and swap it.

Adam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts