Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the 400, the masterlink came off/broke, the chain caught the shift lever shaft and yanked it back, busting out the case on the outter lip. I DID find the 2 missing chunks of casing and put them back and put a hose clamp as a temp fix. I'm not sure if it will hold though and affraid the rest of the case lip will break off with hard riding. How easy is this to get welded? What do yall recommend? I attached a couple of pictures.

The broken place
View attachment 20697

The temp fix
View attachment 20698

·
Registered
637 Posts
Unfortunately Welding ma just be a temp fix as well. It would have to be machined to do that repair. The other down side is that you cant just replace that side of the case. They are matched halves. Thats a real bummer man. Where was the case saver? Cant Stress how important those can be.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Machine to do the repair? What machining do you mean?

·
Registered
32 Posts
find a shop that does heli arc welding. put the pieces back on and grind the crack to form a v and have the shop fill in the v and that will be a permanent fix, if they just weld the out side of the crack it will just break again.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I just found a local place that will heli arc it. I will mention that. Luckly there isn't alot of stress there, unless a chain is slapping it! Case saver on the way also!

·
Registered
176 Posts
My neighbor has welded a couple for me. Your break is repaiable. Pull the shift shaft out, pull the seal and roller bearing out and weld the pieced back in. Your lucky as you found the chunks. I have a repaired set of cases if you need them. If it were me and I was going to pull the guts to have the repair made, I would just pick up a used set of clean`stock casses and forget the repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
KAWASAKI KFX 400 SUZUKI ltz 400 SHIFT LEVER CASE REPAIR. ANY ENGINE CASE

This can be repaired, im a mechanical engineer and i designed an repair for this. Search on ebay for kfx400 engine case repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts