Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed in another thread that user named Speaciulboy documented the exact same experience as me but never posted the resolution. I posted to that forum a week ago but got no response, so I'm making a new thread hoping to get a resolution.

I bought this thing brand new about 2 weeks ago. From the first drive I noticed this noise. At first I thought it was just a connector probably zip tied to the frame and the wind was making it clang against the frame but. That is not the case. I've searched hi and look to no avail.
So here's the detailed complaint.
While driving the machine it's quiet initially until it gets hot. After it's good and hot it starts making an intermittent Chingy, clingy sound above 35 MPHl. Sounds almost like a rock hit the frame , sort along those lines. It runs and drives smooth but this sound is annoying. And it's indicative of a problem and I can't locate it. No matter how I jump up and down in the bed or shake it there is nothin . I jacked it up and put the rear in the air and spooled it up to try and locate this annoyance. But I can't figure out where it's coming from. It does reproduce the noise while jacked up . Appears to really seem to be coming from the rearend but it could be translating from somwhere else. I dont know. I know it's not the front end and I know it's not the drive shafts to the front. Doesn't appear to do it in neutral. When I rev the engine. Anyone got any input here. The dealer just kinda blew me off. Took it back to them with 10 hours on it. They just wanted me to drive it hoping whatever it is will break but I want it fixed. I'm an aircraft mechanic so I'm pretty savy, but this one has me frustrated and looking for input. Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Angrybeard,

Have no idea if this could be the problem but we had a similar noise that I finally traced to the aluminum heat shield above the motor that is located on the bottom of the bed. It was vibrating against the horizontal frame member but only at a certain rpm harmonic level.

I put a 1/4" silicone vibration isolation block (5/8" square and 1/4" thick) with peel off sticky back which presses against the plate and keeps it from vibrating when the bed is down.

To test that this was the issue I took a shop rag folded over 3-4 times and lowered the bed back down as a test, then once I knew this was the issue stuck in the isolation block and has been silent for months.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. Not it

Nice shot at it though. That's a good find and a respectable fix. However my noise does it with the bed raised. And seems to be most notable when standing behind it.
Thanks for the reply though. I'll remember that if I aquire a new rattle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I get a similar noise driving at slower speeds 15-20mph. Mine does it while it's cold though. Once it warms up it doesn't do it.
On a side note. You shouldn't be much over 20-25 mph until your first service. But that is just what the manual says. You paid the money for it drive it however you want.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manual says not to exceed half throttle.

All that break in stuff is just for peace of mind much like not using your cell phone when you fly. Most important thing is to change your oil. Now when I bought it I
And before I looked at the book I asked the dealer what's the break in period. He said there's not one really just don't floor it from a dead stop for awhile. Lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well. I guess out of 25000 utvs made me and Speaciulboy got the only two with the Chingy sound. Lol. Why me. Why. Lol. Sucks

In case at some point in the future someone else has this problem and happens upon this thread looking for a solution. You may have noticed that at times you can almost convince yourself that it kinda sounds like maybe it's missing here and there and that's maybe the problem. It's not. I changed my plugs just for the fun of it. The original junk plugs looked great and the gift kept on giving. So. Not the plugs. I'm leaning towards the clutch itself. But. I dunno. Wish the thing would just fly apart into a million pieces. Then I could be done with it.

Lastly. Yes it seems to have just a little more grunt off the line , and runs out a little stronger with the new plugs.
Nothing impressive. Just enough that you can notice it.
NGK IFR6B11

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hate to hear of your problem and hate that I can't really help you either most gave had really good luck with thier mules. Have you talked to Kawasaki themselves and told them how dissatisfied you are? With it being a brand new unit they should be somewhat helpful with it being problematic right out of the gate. Thanks for the input on the plug swap though, I'll be changing mine soon just as preventive maintenance. Best of luck to you and please post back whatever you find out the problem is...

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Well. I guess out of 25000 utvs made me and Speaciulboy got the only two with the Chingy sound. Lol. Why me. Why. Lol. Sucks

In case at some point in the future someone else has this problem and happens upon this thread looking for a solution. You may have noticed that at times you can almost convince yourself that it kinda sounds like maybe it's missing here and there and that's maybe the problem. It's not. I changed my plugs just for the fun of it. The original junk plugs looked great and the gift kept on giving. So. Not the plugs. I'm leaning towards the clutch itself. But. I dunno. Wish the thing would just fly apart into a million pieces. Then I could be done with it.

Lastly. Yes it seems to have just a little more grunt off the line , and runs out a little stronger with the new plugs.
Nothing impressive. Just enough that you can notice it.
NGK IFR6B11
Why did you change the plugs, and why were the stock plugs "junk"?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I get a similar noise driving at slower speeds 15-20mph. Mine does it while it's cold though. Once it warms up it doesn't do it.
On a side note. You shouldn't be much over 20-25 mph until your first service. But that is just what the manual says. You paid the money for it drive it however you want.

Mine does the same thing. Only does it when cold. I've spent hours trying to figure out what it is. No luck. I've kind of just let it go and it seems to be less noticeable with time. I have 55 hrs and 400 miles right now. The machine runs flawlessly so I'm not too concerned.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The plugs say torch on them. Under that name I'm willing to concede that they could make something of quality. But not a spark plug. We already have a proven record of quality with regards to plugs. Denso and NGK being at the top.
It runs smoother and better on the NGK plugs. Another reason that there junk.
So why I changed them was to eliminate them as the culprit for my annoying Chingy sound.

As for telling kawasaki about my issue. They are aware. I took it to the dealer. They didn't want to admit it was a problem first by trying to pass it off as driveline slack. I pointed out that on our test ride it made the sound while climbing a hill thereby eliminating driveline slack as the problem. We went back and forth for a bit. He called kawasaki and asked for input and we documented the problem. The dealer then suggested that since I'm an aircraft mechanic maybe I should try to locate the problem then bring it back and they will just change the part out whatever it is. So needless to say I'm not surrounded by a good support system here in Dallas.

I haven't entirely ruled out the clutch. But I did remove it and lube it really good just to see if that changed anything. It did not. I did video it but with all the engine noise and everything the noise isn't audible on the video.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
I didn't realize they didn't come stock with NGK plugs.
Generally CVT clutch systems want no lube whatsoever. What parts did the manual say to lube?
That noise really sounds like a guard or exhaust vibration noise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Novakaw. You are correct. No lube required. Understand I only lubed the weights and the slide area and the shafts etc.... just to see if there was any change. If after lube it stopped then I could say I had isolated the noise. But there was no change. I lubed for troubleshooting purposes only.

NGK IFR6B11 are the plugs you want. I'm willing to bet you'll notice a difference

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
As for it being the exhaust shields. It would make you think so. But it's not. I've gone over this thing with a fine tooth comb. I very put a stethoscope all over it while my buddy kept it in that sweet spot where it makes the noise. Can't isolate it to any one place. I put pressure against the exhaust shields. No luck. I'm open to it being in the clutches and I'm also leaning towards possibly the rearend. If somebody wants to do a test and supply me some information. I'm curious to know.

After running down the road for exactly 5 miles. I noticed something. The drivers idea rear axle shaft was almost to hot to hold and the passenger side. Was hot but I could hold it. I measureds the temp with a temp gun. I got 127 on the drivers idea and 116 on the passenger.

I don't know if that is significant or not since I don't have anything to compare to.
It was 70 degrees here and night time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yes it does it 4wd and for troubleshooting purposes. I ran it with the diff locked down the road. It still made the noise.

I do not recommend anyone do that. For the record.

Diff should only be locked as needed then immediately unlocked. Just my opinion

·
Registered
250 Posts
Man that's tough luck. Hate it when something like that happens. You know something is wrong but just can't figure it out. There is a kawasaki dealer in Canton tx, its going to be about an hr east of dallas on I20. Canton power sports connection. They have good service and seem to know a lot of stuff in their service dept. You may call them and see if they can help. Hope you get it resolved. Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey thanks tef

I do go to canton occasionally. My buddy I work with lives there. Him and his dad have a hay operation up there, sometimes I show up and help. 91 miles from my house to canton. So I'll have to get a little more desperate before I drag it to canton . But I may call them , won't hurt to call. I actually called a dealer in California just to see if this has passed through there door before. So I'm not opposed to calling them.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey angrybeard, mine was making the noise again last weekend. There was a sweet spot like you say. I also tried in low gear. It still made it. I also tried with the diff lock. No change. Once it warmed up the noise was gone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah Mazda. That's prolly not so bad actually. I think I could live with it if mine only did it when it was cold. But mine is just the opposite. It's quiet until it gets hot then it chirps like a song bird. Man its pissing me the freak off. It seems to be getting worse to. I'm hearing now in the low 30 MPH range. Before it was always around 38 and up. I hope it gets so bad it just breaks. Whatever it is. I went over it again tonight with a fine tooth comb. I even jacked it up and rolled around front to rear on my creeper. I don't think there is anything I havnt shook, squeezed, pry barred, or considered. At this point I think it's in the rearend. Because it doesn't do it in neutral even when I rev it up. I dunno. Pisses me off. Makes my head hurt to. I can't let it go. I'm going to find it eventually. If somebody doesn't show up first and tell me what it is. I'll find it. Because I freaking hate it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So for all who have been following and those to come in the future. Here is an update.

Today I hauled the swamp donkey to the dealer. A different dealer than before. The mechanic there is an old guy who has been there since day one. So. Perfect. We drove the donkey. Until it started chirping. Then he decided to put it in the air. While off the ground I spooled it up to the sweet spot and he went around it with a stethoscope. Then threw in the towel. We talked for awhile. Brainstormed. He was great. We worked together and eventually concluded to call kawasaki. He spent 30 minutes on the phone with them when they decided to drive a new one off the floor and see what happens. So we threw a windshield on a floor model and away he went. Buzzing up and down the road for about 10 minutes. Then he pulled in a picked me up. Away we went and the brand new model did exactly the same thing mine was doing. Once hot it produced the gift at around 38 MPH just like clock work. So though I find it annoying. I'm calling it good. Now it's just a noise to me. Before it was a problem waiting to happen. Still don't know what the noise is. He's going to work with kawasaki to figure it out for future reference. Kawasaki seemed genuinely interested as well. The dealer I visited today was kawasaki city in Irving texas and Bart Mundie is the fix it guy and also the General manager and is who worked with me on this issue.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts