Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Angrybeard
I have a 2016 pro fxt and started hearing the same noise at 19 hours. I hear it at idle and when the engine is winding down. I took it to the dealership this morning in Irving. They have a really good mechanic and as soon as they get back to me I will let you know what they find.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey JS
Sounds like your going to the same place I went. Kawasaki city in Irving.
Bart Mundie. That's the guy I talked to. We worked through it together. He had never heard it before and nobody ever mentioned it. I still don't know exactly what it is that's doing it. My guess is the clutch. But like I said. We drove a brand new one and it did it to. But. Heck. Mine was brand new and I noticed it on the first drive e when I got home. First thing I thought was it was a connector blowing in the wind and hitting the frame. I know Bart but was going to try to get to the bottom of it regardless. Be interesting to hear what you learn. Let me know.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey guys, sorry I've been mega busy lately with work and building fence for the horses.

Anyways, mine still makes the noise, but has developed more issues since, all seemingly related to the rear diff/trans area.

Driveability has not changed, the machine still works well.

What is irritating though is how the transmission is now burping oil through the breather tube, by the passenger rear frame rail, near the rear muflaps/fenders. You'll see a foam pad right on the bottom corner of the airbox/mudflap on the passenger side. I imagine this is to absorb venting oil vapor from the breather tube. Mine is leaving a puddle on my garage floor.

Adding to this, I've also noticed the right rear differential has begun weeping, indicating a bad seal. Concerning these two indicated issues, I'm under the belief that the rear diff/trans is creating too much pressure, or has been overfilled by the dealer. Same principle as a crankcase with too much blow-by.

Either way, I called and spoke to my dealer last week. Told them I was tired of bringing it in for the "we can't find anything wrong with it" speech. Told the guys to come pick it up, and keep it until it's fixed, or I was going to lemon law the unit. Maybe they will swap the trans/diff, who knows. I expect a fix, or I will request a replacement unit or buyback option, and I'll pick up another machine.

In a world where these machines fetch $15K+, I expect a defect free, clunk free unit, that doesn't mark it's territory on my garage floor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I concur
Though my machine is not burping fluid YET. I agree with Speaciulboy. For what we give for these things, they should be more free from defects and questionable noises / oddities.
No way anyone should shell out this much money on a new machine and then start taking it to the dealer and having there fix it guy turning wrenches on it before you've even ran one tank of gas through it.
So disappointed!
Wish I could do it over again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to here about your issues.

I was one of the 1st to get one of these mules and never had any, I mean any issues at all. It's one of 2 things going on here, either you 2 got bad machines or it's all B.S, I don't want to speculate, but everyone I have talked to loves them. I'm not trying to stir things up, because all of the makers have issues, but I have a hard time believing no kawi dealers in Texas has seen this issue or for that matter anyone on this forum. Just my thoughts, good luck in finding a fix.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have not had any major issues with mine either. That being said, All brands have their faults. But, Kawasaki seems to be the only one willing to help their customers after the sale. That's the main reason I went with them. My Mule has 500 miles now, and so far the positives outweigh the negatives. My friends all own different brands, from Hondas to Kubotas, Can Ams to Polaris, and when we go working or riding, they ALL can find something to complain about with their new machines. Makes me feel happy I made the right choice for my needs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Soooo. I m not clear on what gpgr is trying to say really.

Surely your not suggesting that all of us are just making this up are you?

Much like gpgr I was shocked when I searched for another complaint and found none. Except for one. Back in I think it was may or so Speaciulboy, in another thread had mentioned this exact same complaint. I became a member and proceeded to fire messages off to him in an effort to find out if he had found a resolution. While waiting for him to respond I created this thread in an effort to find answers. So far about 5 people have mentioned this same complaint.
No dealer I have talked ever heard of this complaint. Kawasaki acts as if this is new to them as well. I called what appears to be the largest dealer in America which is in California. It's called bars toy mall or something like that. I ran it by them. Nothing. Said they never heard of it.
Today, for sure, there is one dealer that I know for a fact is aware off this. And that's kawasaki city in Irving texas and Bart Mundie is the guy to talk to. Because that's where I took mine and we worked through it. I do not believe that he had ever heard of this. I believe him. We worked together side by side. We put it in the air after driving it together. While in the air he spent 10 minutes with a stethoscope while I applied the throttle, trying to pin point it. Then we went in and he called kawasaki. And I sat right there for 30 minutes while they discussed various items. I believe kawasaki was considering replacing my unit when they decided to have Bart drive a new one off the floor as a test. I expected it to not make the noise but shit fire. It did! Does that mean there's a problem. I don't really know. Am I looking at a future like Speaciulboy with a leaking seal and burping fluid. Is this all related. Or is it maybe just a normal clutch noise. Don't have any idea. Maybe somewhere along the way kawasaki changed vendors for a bearing and that is the problem. No idea.
Maybe your machine does it to you just don't drive it in a manner where it shows up. Take it on a 5 mile drive at 40 MPH. See what happens. Maybe yours is perfect and ours is not. Have no idea. But for sure it is a possibility that this noise is available on many of your machines but you all just don't do long distance high speed runs like maybe I do. Have no idea.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Soooo. I m not clear on what gpgr is trying to say really.

Surely your not suggesting that all of us are just making this up are you?
That's exactly what I'm getting out of that post haha I guess he thinks everyone with the heat issue under the dash is just making that up to. Just because he hasn't seen a problem I guess means it doesn't exist?

But on a serious note I had a rattle/chingy kind of noise like some have described here. I swore up and down it was something internal but turned out to be I was missing a couple rubber grommets around the bed and motor area which the vibration caused the noise I was hearing. Just a thought.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have the bed rattle/vibration noises, can you post a pic of where the missing grommets are that you found?
Yes I'll be by my mule tomorrow first thing in the morning. I'll post some pics and pics of what the rubber pieces look like. My dealor said it was very common for either Kawasaki to miss putting them in all together or for them to fall out because they weren't properly installed. I've got 20 of them in my glove box for back ups

·
Registered
48 Posts
My mule is street legal, so I drive 40+ miles per hour all the time, no issues at all. The heat issue is there, but it is so minimal it does bother me. These are atvs not cars, they will have rattles and things like that. I would say if you don't like your mules then just sell them and go buy a Polaris or whatever brand you prefer. I love mine. ? ??

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Gpgr
You seem to be a little misguided sir. I just wonder what the threshold of imperfection might be for you since after all, it is a mule, not a Cadillac. What if the tires were not round and it wobbled, would that be OK. After all it is a side by side right. Of course I think we are all aware of the fact that they are noise by nature. My bed rattles, and I don't care. The exhaust has a drone to it , but I don't care. The belt slips a tad at low throttle. Still don't care, that's the nature of it.
The problem is on our mules there is a noise. A noise which apparently you do not have. The fact that it's an odd noise and also not one that exist on every mule is indicative of a problem. Which all of us here , except you sir, are looking to resolve.
It's not OK in my book to pay the money for a brand new machine that performs below the standards with which kawasaki traditionally has set forth. None of us here have misplaced expectations. We know it's an offroad utv and therefore has a noisey nature. But that does not mean that a particular noise is not a problem. I wouldn't say to you, hey, so what if you got a rod knocking, it's a side by side. Go buy something else if you don't like it, my mule is fine. Lol. That's just inappropriate .

I'm glad you don't have this issue. But the fact your mule is trouble free and flawless does not make our situations irrelevant.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Try calling john Hester at Hester Motorsports in New Mexico, he seems to know a lot about these machines, maybe he could figure it out

·
Super Moderator
12,530 Posts
Check in behind the primary clutch. Look for signs of the cooling fins rubbing on something.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have the bed rattle/vibration noises, can you post a pic of where the missing grommets are that you found?
Yes I'll be by my mule tomorrow first thing in the morning. I'll post some pics and pics of what the rubber pieces look like. My dealor said it was very common for either Kawasaki to miss putting them in all together or for them to fall out because they weren't properly installed. I've got 20 of them in my glove box for back ups
Yes, pics please. I have a tailgate vibration, do the grommets go on the tailgate shafts. I know that's where mine is coming from, i wrapped tape around it and it stopped, but tape doesn't last long.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, to those that thing I'm being picky unrealistic about my expectations with this machine, I will say this. I come from the Powersports industry, and actually managed a local dealer that sold other brands. Part of the reason I went with the kawasaki is that I know for a fact that they simply make higher quality machines than any polaris out there. My other units of interest were the pioneer 1000, because it's a honda, and the kubota RTV line because I've had great luck on my farms with their tractors, and I know kubota makes tough equipment.

I can assure you I'm not making up the oil slick in my garage floor, and I can also assure you, as a guy whose spent many years turning wrenches and working in the industry, that the noise being generated by my mule is "bed rattle". It literally sounded like a cold knock due to detonation or a bad bearing.

Additionally, considering I bought a brand new ford focus for only $1500 more than this mule last year, I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset about a machine eating a diff seal or puking oil in my garage. The noise is the least of my concerns right now, but rather I want to know what is causing enough pressure to build up in my trans to cause it to blow an axle seal and leave a tablespoon of oil on my garage floor when I park it.

I'm fine with the seat squeak, and the bed latch rattle. Hell, I don't even mind the dash heat that much on all but the hottest days, but as a farmer/rancher who counts on his equipment every day, downtime for mechanical failures is what really slows me down. Maybe if I was a guy using his machine 15mph beer cruising, I'd never know a difference, but we run this thing down county roads between pastures all day, so the high speed clunk is a real issue caused by something mechanical.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yup

Ditto

I'm with Speaciulboy

That's why I changed my plugs to. It did kinda sound like detonation sometimes.

I lean towards a bearing to.

That's why am aware of the temperature of my rearend. I felt it. Then measured it because It was to hot to touch. I got a left side reading of I think 118 or 120. Can't remember now but that was after a 5 mile drive at 40mph. Could be normal. I have no idea. Don't have another one to compare it to.

I would love to swap that primary clutch assembly out with a different one just to satisfy my curiosity. I wonder if there is something going on with those weights and there slapping around and making that noise. Anyway. Don't know.
I also wonder if Speciulboy s leaking fluid and bad seal are due to this noise. Maybe it's a bad bearing and it's generating so much heat the seal got to hot and crapped out. And the fluid could be so hot it expands and burps out the overflow tube. This could all be a bad bearing. His problems could be related to this noise.
Regardless. I have the machine I wanted. I'm not abandoning kawasaki and I'm not lowering my standards either. This noise will someway somehow play itself out.

·
Super Moderator
12,530 Posts
That's why am aware of the temperature of my rearend. I felt it. Then measured it because It was to hot to touch. I got a left side reading of I think 118 or 120. Can't remember now but that was after a 5 mile drive at 40mph. Could be normal. I have no idea. Don't have another one to compare it to.
Does the Mule have an internal wet brake system? If so, the high temperature is normal.
As well, refer to my post above.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts