Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quick Update: 11/8

Mule is still at the dealer. They flushed transmission to see if they could find any shavings indicating a failing bearing, but didn't find any debris. They have been working with Kawasaki to determine what steps to take next. Kawi indicated to refill trans and drive it to measure temps. They will spend some time driving it today and tomorrow and will measure and let me know what they find tomorrow. Been 2 weeks since I last had the mule and it's getting kind of annoying to not have it, as it makes feeding the animals around the house much more of a chore.

I'll keep y'all updated as to any progress that is made. Thanks y'all

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well, thanks for the update. Sucks your without your mule for so long. But it's pretty sweet there trying to take care of it. I'm anxious to hear how it all turns out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good they're try to take care of you but with time and money spent try could have mounted up a new transmission/rear end assembly by now. Has this been suggested? I sure wouldn't want a "new" unit being rebuilt already

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi guys, another quick update. Picked up the mule saturday. They did the recall (which looks awesome BTW) for the metal fenders, swapped the diff seal, and did a comped oil change for me.

Now for a quick roundup, they said they had spoken to kawasaki's engineers on the phone, whom suggested they likely overfilled the trans, as well as had not put in the correct kawasaki spec'd fluid. The dealer indicated that they just use napa gear oil for all their servicing. This frustrated me as I believed I was paying those crazy service charges to ensure it was getting filled with fluid that is recommended in the manual (to keep my warranty).

They indicated that this make the mule drive much better and had killed all the noise. Cool.

I then asked the next question, which was "well did y'all swap the right fluid in the front diff", to which they said, "no, it takes a completely different oil". :confused:

I played dumb. Then I asked is it because it is some limited slip or open diff, requiring different gear oil? His response, "No, it's a sealed unit". *alarms going off now*

He then indicated they actually fill the front diffs with motor oil, which I then told them that it is a terrible idea, and that the manual calls for gear oil. He indicated they had been doing this for years and that it has actually extended the life of many differentials, and that they've never had problems.

As you can imagine, at this point I'm quite frustrated, but realize that if I want anything done right, I'm likely just going to have to do it myself at the house. I load the mule up and head home, excited to finally not have to feed livestock and work the ranch on foot all day.

Guess what happened when I parked the mule in the garage after 20 minutes of use? That's right, two tablespoons of oil blew out the breather hose on the trans, and stained the hell out of my garage, just as before.

Time for another drink...

·
Registered
18 Posts
My mule pro fxt developed a noise after coming back from the dealer having the recall work done. It was a higher pitched clanky sound coming from behind the driver seat. I always drive with the rear seat folded up giving me the full bed. I converted to the two seater/half bed and the noise went away. I then sprayed WD-40 on every joint/socket I could find having to do with the bed and seat. Initially helped. Then sound came back. What I then found was that if I grasped hold of the rear seat when it was folded up the noise went away. I then saw were the rear seat handles where hitting the back of the front seat roll cage. I wrapped black electrical tape around the grab handle for the rear seat and then sprayed a butt load of WD-40 on the hinges for the rear seat. This took care of my noise. Hope this might help someone. Thanks

-Craig

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Wow!
I'd like to say I'm shocked at the pathetic service you got from the shop. But I guess I'm not shocked. I mean that's not what your supposed to expect from the dealership, but that sort of lazy approach seems all to common these days.
I personally would not leave engine oil in my drive train. I just don't know why they think that's a better way to go. You know there are different additives in different lubricants based on there application. Lubricants are engineered to suit there intended use. There are additives in engine oils that are intended to deal with contamination from combustion. But they are missing additives that make them suitable for the high pressure of gear teeth driving, sliding and swiping each other. Sulphur is one such additive. That stinky gear oil smell is gear oils sulphur additive that's there for a reason, and it's not the only additive. Gear oil has a stronger anti corrosion additive than motor oil as well. I think, I could be wrong on that one. Regardless. Gear oil is thicker than engine oil. Not to be confused with viscosity. Anyway it cushions better in that high pressure application were the teeth grind against each other. Bottom line for me is. Wrong application for motor oil. I would expect to see an increased about of gear wear from a gearbox that was lubricated with engine oil. Sorry that happened to you. What dealer did you use anyway. I think everyone should know. I'm really curious personally

·
Registered
75 Posts
Agreed. I'm ticked, but sure glad I got the 3 year warranty. Either way, the mule drives great, and we love it other than the oil burping out of the breather tube. I still think there's a blocked passageway or it was overfilled. I called first thing this morning, and they are going to consult kawasaki engineers further. In the meantime, I'm going to keep the mule, as my wife was not too happy about feeding the horses in the cold mornings on the 4 wheeler, without her windshield and power steering LOL!

I think she likes this thing more than I do. I'll focus this week on getting a soundbar for it, as I could kill for some tunes when we cruise around in this thing.

I will as usual, let you know what progress we make. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 18 pro fxt makes these noises as well. When you first start it and take off it literally sounds like rocks in a tin can. Once it warms up it goes away. It also has the chirp noise at 25-27 mph. It spent a few days at a local dealer and they were no help. The guy actually told me it would probably go away once it got dirty. The reason I bought the mule is because I think it’s the best but this noise is driving me to insanity. I understand it’s going to have some rattles but this seems to be a mechanical issue rather than something just rattling.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did anyone find out the chirping noise when it gets warm running over 20mph? mine has 2 hours and 20 miles.
I would suggest all pro owners call Kawasaki and complain.All the noises,(knocks,rattle,chirping,squealing,clanging,banging,you name it).It is in the clutches.I bought my 2018 FXR in 10/2017 after about 10 hrs it all started with all the noises.called every dealer in AZ,they all said they never heard if it.so i call Kawasaki in 12/2017 they said they never heard of it and don't have a problem with the pro clutches.I forwarded a post from from here about the clutch Knock and told them that most everyone that has a pro has knocks,rattle,chirping,squealing,clanging,banging,you name it and i had them start a log of my calls with a log #.long story short i have called them every month since 12/2017.I have been a mechanic for over 40 years and i know when something is not right.Soooo my last call to Kawasaki i told them i come from Polaris to Kawasaki thinking they had better customer service but evidently i was wrong.I ask the lady for my log number and she ask why,i said,well Kawasaki wont admit to having a clutch problem on the mule pro so i am going to file a complaint with consumer affairs and everyone else i can think of and also forward all the clutch problems posted on this forum.Well she said hang on a minute,when she came on the phone she said she talked with tech support and he said they do have a problem with the pro clutches.It's amazing how it went from no problem to a problem in minutes.she told me to take it to dealer and something will be done to fix it,she said she could not tell me what will be done but it will get fixed.I have not taken it to dealer yet.So i suggest to all mule pro owners to complain to Kawasaki and get a log #.You have to make a complaint with them or nothing will change(AS IN A RECALL).

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 18 pro fxt makes these noises as well. When you first start it and take off it literally sounds like rocks in a tin can. Once it warms up it goes away. It also has the chirp noise at 25-27 mph. It spent a few days at a local dealer and they were no help. The guy actually told me it would probably go away once it got dirty. The reason I bought the mule is because I think it’s the best but this noise is driving me to insanity. I understand it’s going to have some rattles but this seems to be a mechanical issue rather than something just rattling.
Same problem. I last had mine at the dealer around mid December. They did something and made it better. Problem I have is that it happens worse in colder weather. When the temp dips below 50 or so. And also only happens when the mule hasn't yet warmed up. Once I get to driving it around for about an hour, it stops making the noise.

Every time I take it to the dealer, we get a run of warm weather and they have a really hard time replicating it. Fortunately I was able to take videos of the issue and they were able to work from that.

I've gotten tired of trying to deal with it and have resigned myself to just living with it since it doesn't seem to be affecting anything mechanically.

Sure hope some of you guys get it figured out. Would love to be able to point them to this thread and have them fix it for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The colder it is the more noise they make.It's a poor design the way the primary clutch goes on that gear cog adapter on the motor and that 3 finger brace.
they should have used a tapered ARBOR SHAFT adapter on the motor like this.then you would put the clutch on just like a polaris with a bolt threw the center.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same noise issue on my 2018 FXR. Any new updates since the January posts? I can't figure out where the noise is coming from. Mine makes plenty of noise when it's hot. Doesn't sound like a clutch noise but never had a CV transmission.

·
Registered
81 Posts
that noise has been their since they made it`s a annoying and they are not fixing if it`s still working it`s not broke thats what they say almost 7000 miles and the noise is still their on my 2015 pro fxt le been told it the clog or the shims on the clutch changed my drive belt cleaned and lubed the shims or the clogs went away for a little while came back a little while later been their ever since the old mule is still kicking

61 - 77 of 77 Posts