Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 99 Kawasaki prairie 400. Its bone stock. I went riding a couple weeks ago and it ran great. Toward the end of the day I took a break and shut it off. I started it back up and took it up to about 35 mph and it started sputtering and bogging. I thought the air filter may be dirty. It was clean. I got home, took the carb off, cleaned it all out and adjusted the pilot air fuel screw to factory specs. It didn't do any good. For a minute it will run fine idling but as soon as I get on the throttle it floods itself out and then won't start back up. But wait a day and it will repeat the same thing. Tryed running it with the choke on and that didn't work either. The spark plug is black so I know it has to be getting too much fuel. I just adjusted the valves today and tryed turning the pilot screw in a quarter turn from 2 1/4 to 2 turns out. Still having the same problem. Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sounds like you're covering the usual stuff. Try loosening the fuel cap when it bogs to be sure you don't have a pressure condition in the fuel system. Is there debris in the float bowl? Flooding out for no reason seems fairly unusual - you're more likely to see lean conditions due to jets being plugged.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Are you SURE it's flooding? Is the plug wet when it stalls?
Is it worse or different after cleaning the carb? Did you check the float height, considering that you feel it's flooding?

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im sure its getting flooded

If it was running lean then the spark plug wouldn't be black like it is. And if it was lean it wouldn't have to sit for an hour after driving it around. I have no idea how to adjust or tell if the float is working right. Thanks for replying

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
If it was running lean then the spark plug wouldn't be black like it is. And if it was lean it wouldn't have to sit for an hour after driving it around. I have no idea how to adjust or tell if the float is working right. Thanks for replying
An engine can be running rich all day long, but not foul the plug to the point of not running. An engine could be rich in the mid-range, and lean at wide open throttle. The plug will clean up while running wide open, but will quickly turn black again after slowing down.
As asked before, is it worse or different after cleaning the carb? Is the plug wet when it stalls? If the plug isn't wet, then it didn't flood out.
If it's actually flooding, then you need to take the carb to someone who knows how to check the float, the float height, and the needle and seat.
Did you change the plug?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check the 2 screens inside the tank. You have to remove the fuel valve to get at them. They might be gunked up, like mine were after I put winter additive in it. Sounds like you are not getting enough gas, if the plug isn't wet. :tup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts