Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE2 (1/4/10):
Took it out for 4 days over new years week/weekend and tried a ton of things. Not the fuel filter, not a pressure issue on the fuel tank, moved/checked about every electrical connector i could see on the quad, still no luck. So the question is could the carbs being out of sync cause my issues? I can get the guages for 12.99 each locally to try it just don't want to buy them and do this if i'm not even in the balk park of what could be causing the issue.

UPDATE:

Replaced plugs, and wires along with non resistor wires from VEN (thanks VEN) and had a valve adjustment done. Quad still won't run from 3/4 to Full throttle. Took her out today and the problem still exists. This time i payed more attention to the symptom, and it feels less like cutting out than a complete bog like if for example i was running along at 1/4 throttle and i turned the choke on that kinda bog but at high speed and throttle position. Adding choke didn't fix anything. The whole quad kinda bogs out once u pop over 3/4 throttle and when u back off it kinda catches up and starts moving again. At first it almost seems like an old school MSD type rev limiter that just starts shutting down firining of the ignition at a certain RPM, but in this case the rpm would be way below the rev limiter, and if the belt was slipping i would expect to hear the motor rev which it doesn't.

So please any ideas where to check next? I read the manual and it says there are lots of plastic parts that should be removed form the carbs before using a high flash point solvent for cleaning then compressed air. I don't want to get in too deep but i think i need to take those bad boys off and clean them some how. Anyone got a good how to on that process?

Thanks again!

Ok, quick background I've had this quad for 4 years and it's run like a champ until recently. I haven't made any changes to it in 2 years. Recently it just started to completely cut out at full throttle. I can be cruisin along anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle just fine but as soon as I pin the throttle down it starts doing this weird cut off type of problem sounds almost like maybe the rear cylindar stops firing all together but not sure about that. I've checked the plugs they're ok, i've got a clean filter, battery is charged etc. Not sure what to check next it's weird because it only happens at full throttle it runs perfectly fine at all other speeds. Also, one side note i know i have the lame ECU or whatever that waits to long to put on the check belt light and when it does you have to reverse the connectors to reset it and it performs like crap until you do, but this time the check belt light isn't on. Any pointers of course would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
ive had this problem i changed carbs,coils,cdi,fuel pump checked decomps on cams checked for vacume leeks i went to hell and back anything under 3/4 throttle was good then it would cut a cyl over that even gave it a leak down test and nothing showed up pulled it down after weeks of playn with it and it was the rear intake valves were hammered replaced them yesterday arvo and the bike is sweet again:D

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Things to check: valves, coils, fuel pressure, plugs

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
The stock CDI's are pretty reliable. Mains should affect operation from 1/4 throttle on up to some degree. I'm leaning toward camshaft damage or valves.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm going to try the simple/cheaper things first. I'll be replacing the plugs even though I inspected them you never know. I'll also replace the wires without the resistors. I'm also going to check main jets in both carbs. If that doesn't solve it I'll have to take a look at a valve adjustment. I'll let you know how things work out. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please see first post that i edited for the continued symptom and what i've tried to date.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Get a known good CDI, check all wires for shorts, use spark checker on both cylinders to ensure good sprak thru RPM band, then I would pull your head covers and chech for a broken or weak valve spring. Ed3

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Please see first post that i edited for the continued symptom and what i've tried to date.
mate save urself the headaches i had its ur valves on ur rear cylinder
all ur doing is wasting time and cash.
people can say what they want i had this exact prob and valves were fooked replaced them now its all sweet:D
i was reading it as a front cylinder prob but it was the rear in the end heres my link
http://www.kawieriders.com/forum/kawasaki-kfx700-v-force/90879-had-problem-over-month-cant-sort.html

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm... any idea how much that would cost? I know i don't have the skill or the patience to do that myself unless it's easier than the valve adjustment which is a pain in the ass with those little windows to work in..

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
im in aus so it cost me alot more as the kfx700 is a dead boat in water here,i payed $83 a valve plus gaskets and done it myself using the manual. first time i done it no hassles but u would have bulk help in the u.s just ask for some help on here

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please see update2 on the original post at the top "BUMP"!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I don't see carb sync being a high rpm only issue....
How did you check for high rpm fuel pressure?
How did you check for high rpm spark?
Have you done a simple compression test?
Have you done a leakdown test?
These are the simplest things to check, and need to be done properly, with proper tools, that are known to function properly.
After you have narrowed down whether this is a compession problem, fuel problem or a spark problem or a combination (unlikely but possible) of the three, can anyone help you.
Taking someone elses fix for their problem, as much as it SOUNDS like yours, is at best a stab in the dark.
I'm not saying that it wont turn out to be PSI-700's fix....it's very likely it is.
Bottom line you need to give more description than "tried a ton of things" it's not this or that.....
Did you install a fuel pressure gauge inline after the petcock, immediately before the carb inlet?
This could be as simple as a collapsed fuel line not flowing enough fuel to keep the bowls full.
Did you pull the head covers off and visually inspect the valve springs?
Did you pull the heads and do a simple leak test on the heads to make sure your valves are sealing?
I am very available to help further...you are welcome to PM me and I will give you my phone # so I can walk you through how to go about finding the problem.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
my problem with the valves didnt even show on a leak down test
but as the old sayn goes
you can lead a horse to water but u cant make it drink
i would give u my number but it would kill you the long distance rates to aus
would be cheaper to ring a sex line
goodluck

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Psi-700, what exacty was wrong that didn't show on leakdown?
I was not disagreeing with you....It just seems that he either doesn't have the experience, or the wherewithall to attempt a valve replacement by himself.
If this were my problem and you suggested this fix, I would have already done the tests I spoke of, and looked no further than your fix.;)
Not trying to put anyone down or say right from wrong either way.
I just know where I would start, and how I would proceed.
BTW...SLICK bike... that is NASTY lookin!!!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes unfortunately I'm one of those types that doesn't feel comfortable with the simple tools and skills i have to get into the heads. I know I'd mess something up or just get so frustrated I'd probably end scrapping the damn thing out... at this point I'm already close to selling the damn thing i just want it to run... grrrr 2 big 4 day trips and no full throttle gets old especially cuz all my friends ride ds650's and i can't even keep up with only 3/4 throttle...I'm just totally surprised that with all the knowledgeable people on this board there's no one in my area either willing to respond and help or just no one in my area.

So i'll say it again if there is anyone in the san diego area willing to help for beer or even a reasonable price I'd be happy to oblige.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
anything over 3/4 throttle mine was cutting out to i went to hell and back many times in the shed with it i even pushed it outside to set fire to it a few times in a last ditch effort i pulled the front head of and nothing was wrong so i looked at the rear and thought ive come this far so i took it of and the rear intake valves were all sorted dented slightly around were they seel up so replaced now its perfect
buy or borrow a kfx700 manual and do it follow what it says and its easy
excuse the typing but im not a sexutary like some of the members:lol:

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I'm sorry my education irritates you. That's why this forum has a spell check.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts