Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I recently purchased a 09' KFX700 and the handle bars were bent. I purchased the Pro Taper Bars as the replacements and while finishing up the install I tried to put the left brake lever back on and it won't fit:eek:. The bar starts to bend where the clamp would screw back on. When I put the shifter back on I drilled the hole on the bottom exactly the same distance from the end of the bar as the factory one. I have just enough room from the end of the bar to apply the grip. I thought about redrilling another hole closer to the end of the bar to slide the shifter out further but that would just make the grip not fit all the way on. I am frusterated:mad: and confused:confused: at the same time. Any Help would be wonderful.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
I think when I installed mine I cut about 1/4 inch off of the grip. What bend of bars to you have?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What bend of bars to you have?
That is just it. I went in to my local cycle shop looking for new bars and the parts man told me that these bars would work. But, being that they're the YZ HighBend, they don't. I am thinking that I need to get the ATV HighBend bars. The chart on pro taper.com says that the ATV bars are a bit longer before the bend. I'm thinking this is to allow for all the controls to go back on the bar. YZ = 180mm control area, ATV= 226mm control area.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
look for a set of KTM atv Renthal bars. you can fit everything on there with room to spare. with most bars you'll see the brake lever barely fits and it can misalign it compared to the grips. the KTM atv bars do not do this. they are the "fat bars"

OR

look for a set of stock 2012 renegade xxc bars. they are pro taper aluminum and also have the length needed to fit everything correctly

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
look for a set of KTM atv Renthal bars. you can fit everything on there with room to spare. with most bars you'll see the brake lever barely fits and it can misalign it compared to the grips. the KTM atv bars do not do this. they are the "fat bars"

OR

look for a set of stock 2012 renegade xxc bars. they are pro taper aluminum and also have the length needed to fit everything correctly
John,
Does KTM make the adapter to go from 7/8" - 1 1/8"? Right now I have the pro taper universal adapter on the bike but since the bars don't work I may take it back, the bars and the universal mount.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
I don't know. these were take off factory KTM 450cc atv bars I picked up from a dealer cheap.

there are many companies that make adapters. trail tech is a popular one. they are about 79.00 I think?

there are also ROX risers

Precision handlebar suspension clamp setups.

I'm sure there are more I just cna't remember off the top of my head

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I can make you a shifter if you're interested PM me.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by burnout70
shorty shifter will cure all.

I wouldn't even begin to know how to make shorty shifter...LOL

you can make your own or someone on here can make you 1. hellraiser i think makes a nice shifter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your help riders. I went with the longest bar I could. If that doesn't work then I will be PMing someone to make me a shorty. Parts should be in at the end of the week. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That is just it. I went in to my local cycle shop looking for new bars and the parts man told me that these bars would work. But, being that they're the YZ HighBend, they don't. I am thinking that I need to get the ATV HighBend bars. The chart on pro taper.com says that the ATV bars are a bit longer before the bend. I'm thinking this is to allow for all the controls to go back on the bar. YZ = 180mm control area, ATV= 226mm control area.
You'll have more than enough room with ATV-Hi, that's what I run I could add stuff on with the extra room I have.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You'll have more than enough room with ATV-Hi, that's what I run I could add stuff on with the extra room I have.

That's more comforting than you know thanks for the info.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[/QUOTE]You'll have more than enough room with ATV-Hi, that's what I run I could add stuff on with the extra room I have.[/QUOTE]

Well after getting everything back on, there's not really that much extra room. Everything fits, but it's tight. Problem solved though, I'm going shorty shifter.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I can't help it.....wtf is that pair of underwear and broom on the wall in a frame for?????

lol
:lol: I didn't want to ask..
I was waiting for someone to say something :lol::lol::lol:

It's my Dad's, it was a survival kit his troops gave him when he retired 26 years, 4 months, from Active Duty as a United States Navy Seabee. He hung up them all up in the barn and made it a "eventful" work area now :lol::lol::lol:

Believe it or not that's the least weird one they gave him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts