Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i have an 05 bf 650 sra. so i just rejetted my carbs and put new needles in, replaced the plugs, cleaned the air filter, changed the oil, changed the anti freeze, changed the belt and reset the belt light. but for some reason whenever i get into the gas it hesitates and wont build up speed. i have 27 inch executioners so i ordered the epi oversized tire clutch kit but havent had time to put it in yet. but i dont see that changing anything. my last resort is adjusting the valves which i really dont want to do but thats what im assuming it needs. also ive heard the dynateks can bring the bf's out of this so called slump? any help would be greatly appreciated. cant stand having my bike down!!! oh and ijust saw the highlifterr ecm powerpak. is this the same thing/do the same stuff as the dynatek? thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
Did you have the hesitation BEFORE you did all the work posted above?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
okay i have an 05 bf 650 sra. so i just rejetted my carbs and put new needles in, replaced the plugs, cleaned the air filter, changed the oil, changed the anti freeze, changed the belt and reset the belt light. but for some reason whenever i get into the gas it hesitates and wont build up speed. i have 27 inch executioners so i ordered the epi oversized tire clutch kit but havent had time to put it in yet. but i dont see that changing anything. my last resort is adjusting the valves which i really dont want to do but thats what im assuming it needs. also ive heard the dynateks can bring the bf's out of this so called slump? any help would be greatly appreciated. cant stand having my bike down!!! oh and ijust saw the highlifterr ecm powerpak. is this the same thing/do the same stuff as the dynatek? thanks guys
do you mean like reverse before you push the override when it sputters and backfires and only goes 6mph does it run like that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i decided to do all the work because the belt needed to be replaced. so i just did like a quick top to bottom on it. and before i did the stuff it wouldnt idle without the choke befor i rejetted the carbs. now it idles great without the choke but doesnt seem to want to use all of its power. it comes out of the hole fine then when i try to pick up some speed it just kind of putts and spits. gets up to better speed than what it does in limp mode but just not running like my brute used too. thanks for the quick responses guys. new to the site

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
Carbs are dirty/gummed up. How did you "rejet"? The usual reasons for changing jets is because you did modifications to the engine and need to add more fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i was hoping getting new jets would solve my idle issue. so i just ordered what was called "stage one" from dynojet and i was under the impression it was like a factory jet kit. so when i took the old jets out they were gummed up and different sizes than what dynojet was calling for. so i went ahead and followed the dynojet directions and put their stuff in. also the new needles that came with the jet kit were different then my stock needles

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
Thoroughly clean the carb, even if you have to hire a shop to do it. Put the stock jets and needles back in.

·
Registered
314 Posts
yup, it sounds like you need to clean those carbs again. be meticulous!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
put the stock needles and jets back in,just make sure the pilot jets are clean,a thin wire is the best thing to clean them with,main jets are eas o lean,you should be back up and running after that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay. Hopeing to work on it this weekend. Wil let everybody know how it turns out. Thanks for all the help. P.s. if anyone is in need of a clutch kit motosport is having a sale. I got 200$ epi oversized kit for 20 bucks!!!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Thoroughly clean the carb, even if you have to hire a shop to do it. Put the stock jets and needles back in.

^^^^What NovaKaw said. You haven't mentioned anything that warranted adding more fuel, that alone those dynajets. BTW, the Dynajet jet #'s aren't the same sizes as the Keihens. Put your stock *clean* jets back inand it should run like a champ.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
The answer is simple... put your stock jets back in. Your problem was more than likely clogged pilot jets. Clean all of your jets and put them back in. If your motor is stock, you DO NOT need a jet kit... not to mention the Dynajet ones are junk. Especially the needles. If that doesn't take care of it, buy new OEM STOCK SIZE jets from some place like Chaparral Motorsports.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay will do. i looked into getting new oem jets just incase. but couldnt find the exact size? its kind of looking like #138 or #142. any input here? the numberrs are worn off my old stock jets and cant read what they say

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 06 sra. After I cleaned the carbs it wouldn't go past idle with out popping back through carbs. Had to use the choke for it to rev up. Ended up being the boots were cracked and they wouldn't seal to the carbs. I must have taken the carbs off 4-5 times trying to figure out what was wrong. I finally sprayed around the boots with break clean and it would run great for a few seconds. Between that and needing the choke it pointed to a lean condition/air leak.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
okay will do. i looked into getting new oem jets just incase. but couldnt find the exact size? its kind of looking like #138 or #142. any input here? the numberrs are worn off my old stock jets and cant read what they say
Yes, your OEM front main jet is a #138 and your rear is a #142.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts