Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
That upper frame came out much nicer than mine ! How do you like the way it worked out, ride height and such?

·
Registered
35 Posts
nice hinge. Thx for sharing. What containers did you use for storage under seat? I see you made a bottom brace...nice!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That upper frame came out much nicer than mine ! How do you like the way it worked out, ride height and such?
I like the added 1" better than it was. I'm 6ft, shorter person probably wouldn't. But I'm please how it turned out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice hinge. Thx for sharing. What containers did you use for storage under seat? I see you made a bottom brace...nice!
That 1710 model ... amazon, forget the brand offhand. The smaller was a wastecan at Menards that was the right size.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
32 Posts
I towed my pro mule dx 6 hours into a 40mph headwind. Made a stop for fuel about half way. The seat was laying in the floor. Only thing that stopped it from blowing out was the safety wires. I'll be planning on doing the hinged seat mod.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I towed my pro mule dx 6 hours into a 40mph headwind. Made a stop for fuel about half way. The seat was laying in the floor. Only thing that stopped it from blowing out was the safety wires. I'll be planning on doing the hinged seat mod.
Was the Mule facing forward or backwards? Never had an issue with the seat when being towed facing forward which is recommended.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've started to have this happen about every trip ever since I installed my windshield. I tow it with the top 1/2 folded down. Seems the windshield changed the airflow pattern to create a vacuum on top of the front seat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Was the Mule facing forward or backwards? Never had an issue with the seat when being towed facing forward which is recommended.
Mule was facing forward.
I have added a fold down windshield since I towed it home from dealer in La Marque in June. Will try towing with windshield folded down next trip.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry not 1710...this is the big box i used.
Plano 1719-00 68 Quart Tote (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TOHI7I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_WooXrak4EgcHj

This is the hinge i used, which i cut to a length of 42".

Stainless Steel 304 Continuous Hinge with Hole, Bright Annealed Finish, 0.04" Leaf Thickness, 2" Open Width, 5/64" Pin Diameter, 1/2" Knuckle Length, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HBNY3K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_s5bjWpOQCmO8N

Can you use the lid on the box
thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I'm sold on the hinge upgrade but have 2 questions...first, if I don't want an extra 1" of seat height, how narrow can go on the flange width? Also, since the seat belt receivers can be tucked back, I'd prefer to mount the hinge on the backside of the seat so I can see and bend more easily into the storage area. Any issues with doing this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mule was facing forward.
I have added a fold down windshield since I towed it home from dealer in La Marque in June. Will try towing with windshield folded down next trip.
I have a full glass windshield and never had an issue. Not sure if that is because I have a storage box under the seat blocking some of the wind / turbualnce under the seat etc. Maybe a check list item to strap a bungee over the seat prior to transport...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mule was facing forward.
I have a full glass windshield and never had an issue. Not sure if that is because I have a storage box under the seat blocking some of the wind / turbualnce under the seat etc. Maybe a check list item to strap a bungee over the seat prior to transport...
Good idea Frogracer!
Will do when towing next time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry not 1710...this is the big box i used.
Plano 1719-00 68 Quart Tote (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TOHI7I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_WooXrak4EgcHj

This is the hinge i used, which i cut to a length of 42".

Stainless Steel 304 Continuous Hinge with Hole, Bright Annealed Finish, 0.04" Leaf Thickness, 2" Open Width, 5/64" Pin Diameter, 1/2" Knuckle Length, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HBNY3K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_s5bjWpOQCmO8N

Can you use the lid on the box
thanks
Yes, I think you could, but I didn't want to the pita process of removing the lid after raising the seat. I build the frame underneath the box so the height came out as you see...with the lid under the box. That way if I ever decided to use the lid, I could.....very seriously doubt I ever will though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I'm sold on the hinge upgrade but have 2 questions...first, if I don't want an extra 1" of seat height, how narrow can go on the flange width? Also, since the seat belt receivers can be tucked back, I'd prefer to mount the hinge on the backside of the seat so I can see and bend more easily into the storage area. Any issues with doing this?
The plastic seat base is molded so the 1" frame as the factory built kind of help locks in the seat. I used 1" to correspond to the molding of the seat, and give the frame something to attach to. The plastic seat also has four mold places to screw something into on each side of the bottom of the seat. Makes a natural attachment point.

You could use 16 gauge flat stock 1" wide....but attachment to the seat???...you will have to get fancier with your welded up frame and use the same attachment points I did.....or you would have to glue somehow, since screwing into any other place in the seat will probably be iffy. Then screw your hinge into that....but you will be sitting on part of the hinge too, if you do that. More work, but it could be done.

Hinge to the back?...Mine, with steering wheel tilted up opens and stands upright with no support. The person I got the idea from, tried that and ran into problems. I also think, your seat would not open and be upright and stay in place.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts