Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Do you have a link to the original seat mod thread? how is the seat attached to the frame?
Link???...not sure what you mean, this is the only thread I've put out here on this.

See the 4 holes in the flat stock that is vertical in this picture....they match up with 'posts' on the bottom of the seat. The factory cables use those holes to attach the seat.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry not 1710...this is the big box i used.
Plano 1719-00 68 Quart Tote (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TOHI7I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_WooXrak4EgcHj

This is the hinge i used, which i cut to a length of 42".

Stainless Steel 304 Continuous Hinge with Hole, Bright Annealed Finish, 0.04" Leaf Thickness, 2" Open Width, 5/64" Pin Diameter, 1/2" Knuckle Length, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HBNY3K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_s5bjWpOQCmO8N

Can you use the lid on the box
thanks
Yes, I think you could, but I didn't want to the pita process of removing the lid after raising the seat. I build the frame underneath the box so the height came out as you see...with the lid under the box. That way if I ever decided to use the lid, I could.....very seriously doubt I ever will though.
Thanks.that is a lot cheaper than the OEM box.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts

Do you have a link to the original seat mod thread? how is the seat attached to the frame?
Link???...not sure what you mean, this is the only thread I've put out here on this.

See the 4 holes in the flat stock that is vertical in this picture....they match up with 'posts' on the bottom of the seat. The factory cables use those holes to attach the seat.
Could you post the dimensions and angles of the frame when you get some free time?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hopefully this picture helps explain since it shows the cuts of the pieces I used as a template....before doing it in metal. Once the metal is weld together you can't see the cuts any longer.

I didn't measure the distance or angle on anything. What I did was cut a some wood into a 1" square size. Laid it down on the underneath side of the seat, in the recessed area that the seat fits on the metal frame. Then marked the spot on the wood that the radius just started to occur. Cut there at 90 degrees straight cut. Laid those pieces back on the seat, then taking a shorter piece of that same 1" square on the corners and marked both ends where they met the other pieces I cut. Then laid them in, stapled together and ended up with the template you see in this picture. Then I duplicated those pieces on to a 1" square metal tube, weld together...and done.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
jcummins, I like the way you utilized 1" wood as a template for fabrication of the seat frame. Great thinking! Excellent job by the way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. Any chance you can post the design used, materials, measurements, etc? It appears you built a whole new frame for the seat and I agree with all that Kawasaki should be making these seats hinged already. I want to make mine hinged too and this is the best representation I’ve seen yet! Nice job.
[email protected]

[l

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Done. Not my design got that from the forum. Very worthwhile mod.

awesome job!!!!
My wife is short and she struggles a little reaching the accelerator so I couldn't do mine that way but something to sure look at. Yep Kawasaki sure blew it on that one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my wife is 5' 3" and uses a old square boat seat cushion behind her back, made life easier for her to reach the pedals.

·
Registered
99 Posts
my wife is 5' 3" and uses a old square boat seat cushion behind her back, made life easier for her to reach the pedals.
That is what we do also but it is kibd of a pain. Anyway, yours looks great. i may go that way. Thanks for sharing

21 - 35 of 35 Posts