Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of work for almost five months now and living off of savings because unemployment is a joke.Today at two I have an interview at a scholl bus company that a friend set up.As a mechanic, I have worked on everything from Harleys to F450 tow trucks and ocasionally some heavy equipment but never school buses.They have everything from Dodge Caravans to full size school buses so I have to go there and put on the big sell as to why they should hire me.I'm still above water financially but I need this job mentally.I'm used to working around eighty hours a week and doing nothing is killing me.Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
11,664 Posts
good luck....

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Good luck, and you are one of the few Americans that actually have a nest egg. That was good planing on your part.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
best of luck!!

hope all works out for the best!!!:D

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Good luck on the job interview, hope you land it.

I lived on a nest egg for 4 months this year too. Then when I got back to work I spent the majority of it on a sled. Then 6 weeks (2 weeks ago) got laid off again. Yes, it is more a mental thing than a money thing for someone with work ethics.

I don't know what I'll do when I retire. Probably get a job.

Although I do wish you luck with the job I hope it's not back to 80 hours aweek. You'll need to find time for that XP! :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
be sure to tell em you love kids

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Good luck my savings would be gone in like a month. I put to much into retirement.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I went to the interview twenty minutes early and the guy I was supposed to see didn't show up.They gave me the application to fill out and I'm bringing it back to him tomorrow.He is supposed to be in all day tomorrow.Now it is like sitting and waiting for the ketchup come out of the bottle.
But on a good note, I almost finished my Christmas shopping.

·
Registered
445 Posts
So I went to the interview twenty minutes early and the guy I was supposed to see didn't show up.They gave me the application to fill out and I'm bringing it back to him tomorrow.He is supposed to be in all day tomorrow.Now it is like sitting and waiting for the ketchup come out of the bottle.
But on a good note, I almost finished my Christmas shopping.

you got it no need to be anxious...

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
load your quad up and come up to nh for some riding.. we ride almost every weekend.:D i think we spoke on the phone before also.:huh: not sure though. make sure you pass your piss test first though:p

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
job update

So I just got off the phone with my friend that set up the job interview.He talk to the to the guy I interviewed with today as part of his job and asked if he had talked to me yet.I have work at the same place for twenty seven years and the part time jobs that I had were at independant bike shops that both have closed over the last couple years and two tow companies that are under new ownership.I put down the one main job as a refference.
He told my friend that he would have to think about it because he felt I didn't have enough refferences.I would think that staying at the same place for twenty seven years would be a better refference to my abilities that if I work at twenty jobs in twenty years.
I had worked on the Mass. Institute of Technologies handy cap vans and their wheelchair lifts.There were ten vans and busses with different brands of chair lifts and he was dissappointed that I didn't know the brand name of the lifts.
Personally ,I don't care what brand something is .If it is broken , I fix it.The lifts are hydraulics and canterlevers or hydraulics and chains (which ever type they have) .It's not rocket science.
While I was there one of the mechanics came up to him and said he pushed it the shrader valve on the ac system and "stuff" came out so he didn't understand why the system didn't work.That right there tells me I know more than their mechanics do.
Sorry for the rant,I'm just not used to having to jump thru hoops for work.Usually my knowledge is enough.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
That sucks!

Maybe he figures that with 4 million americans out of work he can have his pick or make you sweat to except the lower wage he's thinking of offering you.

I also know for me with 30yrs in at one place they look at that as a negative when applying as it could be age, or underlying health issues regardless of experience.

·
Registered
445 Posts
i know the feeling, i just filled out an application for a job... it got down the the last 4 employers, they only date back to 05... doesn't look good for long term commitment...

sorry to hear about your misfortune, best of luck to you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts