Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
john have you done any comparison testing on the dyno with a full decked out roller spidermod stage 3 or 4 clutch vs a regular stage 3 or 4 im curious if there is noticable hp gain from this or is it just a gain for throttle responce.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Same Q....what is the advantage to the full roller spidermod?

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
the rollers make the clutch action smoother. you do have to change springs heavier and weights lighter as it also increaces shiftout.

I could compare them. but with changing weights and springs to get them to act correctly under similar circumstances isn't a fair comparison.

On NA built motors they like 50-52 gram weights with the rollers to get the RPM needed with a spring like the polaris yellow. you notice the rpm's act much faster and backshifting is quicker. they make it easier for the weight to push the clutch closed due to no binding or bushing rubbing on the stock spider.

I have yet to get a bbk Vforce in here to screw with one. it has all been Teryx and SXS work lately

John

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
You can borrow mine if you want just don't blow it up on me.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Sounds good. I may have some free time in the next week or so if I can get these 2 motors done by Friday. Ill have to get one cut and done up I only have one here that I've been saving for my vforce. I need vforce Clutch cores badly. I could have sold near 2 dozen last month but I just can't find any good ones.

And slap Jack in the head for what he did on new years.

John

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
you can say that again! lol

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Sounds good. I may have some free time in the next week or so if I can get these 2 motors done by Friday. Ill have to get one cut and done up I only have one here that I've been saving for my vforce. I need vforce Clutch cores badly. I could have sold near 2 dozen last month but I just can't find any good ones.

And slap Jack in the head for what he did on new years.

John
Just let me know when to drop it off.I don't know how good my clutch is right now it feels kinda weird lately.I do have an extra one though.

Jack stopped over with pics of the car and told me his story which I'm sure isn't the complete truth.I told him he should have just called me but you know how stupid he can be.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so basically there may or may not be any significant hp dif between to properly set up clutchs on a drag bike

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
They are not going to make it a rocketship. It's an enhancment. Especially if the bushed roller you have in there now is worn, then it's an even better gain. If I could give an example of how it works and gains that you could feel, I'd compare it to a 6 degree key. it adds a similar snap to it. top end doesn't increace anymore. it's only felt in the shifting phase in about 10-65 mph. on and off the gas it's noticably smoother and requires less throttle effort to move it as the weights can move more freely.

John

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok got ya thanks alot john

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
I did a ton of testing with the roller today on an 840 Teryx.

with the rollers, 70 rwhp. without them 68.

the rollers are very hard hitting out of the hole and near pulled the wheels off the ground on engagment even strapped down as hard as I could get it on the Dyno rollers.

the rollers and Dalton weights would rev out 8200 OR/BLUE-8400 AMBER rpm. the low end hit and engagment was WAY too hard. it engaged and revved out to 8200 in 1 second and stayed exactly there at that same RPM until 65 mph. with the orange blue in there it slammed closed like you just dumped a clutch at 6000 rpm the nlost some RPM down to 8100

stock spider it would onlu rev 7700 with the same exact setup.

here's the problem with the rollers. if you are not dragracing and trailriding. they are not trail friendly. the midrange hit causes the clutch to close all the way and shoot that belt to the top. even the 840 with 70-71 rwhp didn't have the power to overcome the weigh push. NOS would have been perfect. As it's a solid hit and power gain. but the motor pushed the clutch closed as the rollers move too freely. the 840 also needed alot lighter weights which we didn't have access to.

I should have tried a stiffer secondary with the rollers. that would certainly hold backshift more. but 8am-6pm on the dyno I was getting tired and hungry.

I learned some more today. 840's need lighter weights. rollers shift too fast and rejetting Teryx's 20 times SUCKS!!

back to the drawing board to work on better setup's. You can have holeshot power and great shiftout RPM. but it shifts out FAR too fast if you gun on it midrange.

John

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.I can drop mine off whenever you want so us v-force guys know what to expect out of the roller.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Thanks for all your hard work yesturday, John. I cant wait to get out and ride now that the mid range hits like a freight train!! Let me know when u get those new wieghts in, Ill do some testing with the setup we have now and compare them.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
I did alot of thinking last night. we should have replaced that sheave with one of Mickey' clutch sheaves for the atv. then put in the 58 daltons and riveted them as heavy as possible. prob 65 grams. then ran it that way. When, I had it apart and could have dont that just as easily as doing the faceplate.

It was a long day for sure. my back is killing me today from leaning over and messing with those carbs for prob 6 hours. :lol:

You'll definatly see an improvment over what it was before it came in. that short ride I took in it made my std bore feel more like a stocker, it was torquey. those Elkas were nice too!!

let me know how it compares when you get it back together. don't forget about those exhaust bolts for the bracket!!

John

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
I learned some more today. 840's need lighter weights. rollers shift too fast and...
John

I realize this thread was for the Teryx clutch, but I'm just curious when you say that the 840 needs lighter weights, do you mean like 4 stock V-force weights...or even lighter like 4 stock P360 weights?

I just got a tach for my twin peaks 800 and hope to start tinkering with my clutch set-up (using your Stage 4 primary clutch with roller upgrade). I currently have 4 stock V-force weights and wondering if I need to go lighter.

Thanks,

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Stock Teryx weights are 80 grams. the daltons are 72 and adjust to 80. Mine will be 66 and adjustable to 78.

4 vforce weights is plenty light for that cltuch setup Mike. the roller will force that up there with more rpm. you still have the stock transmission with high and low range? the V weights will be fine. if you have the V transmission then the 360 weight with some tip weight (50-51 grams) is ideal for an all motor ported head setup.

the reason I believe what happens in the Teryx is the weight of the Teryx having a cltuch that shifts too fast with the rollers. It's like Clutching an 840 brute force riding double with 2- 400 pounders on it in low range.

John

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
rejetting Teryx's 20 times SUCKS!!
I second that, hell...just 5 times sucks....:mad:

It's even worse when you just ran it to 70 mph on the dyno 10 x in a row and it's 200 degrees.

we did 78 recorded runs yesterday. prob 2x that without toucing the button to record. just watching the air/fuel /rpm

Mickey even called today to tell me he was wore out and all he did was sit there with the hammers incase we needed him to hit things when it didn't go right.

John

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Jims Roller is AWESOME @ all Rpm's Never ran the new one you just done but I can tell you the Jh clutch moves MUCH more freely by hand. I can see now why his is $550:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts