Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering how do i do a 12 hole mod? i have been searching around for directions and i see that people are saying you do a jet kit,is this mandatory with a 12 hole mod? can anyway give me like step by step directions on how 2 do this mod? and is there a name of an air filter that i could go pick up from a regular auto parts store besides k and n? like a fram or something? thanks guys

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Personally I do the 16 hole mod. 16 holes at 3/4" each. 4 holes on each side of the lid. Best way to drill them is with a stepped bit. Makes nice and perfect holes. I dont my first lid with a paddle bit and the outcome sucked.

Anyhoo, The best filter is a twinair powerflow setup. That setup will run you about 100 bucks. You could do a twin air pre oiled replacement filter. Those are about 30.00 I think.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
12 hole mod is just 12 1" holes spaced evenly around the sides of the air box lid.....best to use a stepped drill for a neat job. You will have to re-jet. I wouldn't waste the money on a air filter as you wont notice much if any diff from stk jmo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so just drill 12 or 16 3/4-1" holes in the air box lid and have it jetted? whats the best kind of jet kit to get and what sizes? and is rejetting easy or do i need to take it to a shop?

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
12 1" holes and 16 3/4" holes are the same amount of area. I just did the 3/4" holes because that is the biggest size on my stepper bit.

Use Keihin Main jets only. No one really knows what the jetting will end up for sure. Each machine is different. You will be told to start at 182 in the front carb and 185 in the rear carb. Hmm what kind of exhaust do you have?

·
Registered
555 Posts
You're at a different elevation, but just to give you an idea, I'm running pro circuits, K&N w/prefilter, and 12 hole. I'm at 182front and 185 rear main jets with 42 pilot jets. Jets are easy to change.

Here's a how-to on changing main jets-
How To: Changing Main Jets

the pilot jet is the shorter jet just to the left of the mains on each carb if you need to change them.

I would also recommend changing out the 4 screws on each carb bowl with allen heads, the stock screws strip easily. You'll need 8 and I believe they're 4mmx14mm, pretty easy to find at a hardware store.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so am i ordering 3 different kinds of jets?f/r and pilot? im on my dealers website looking at the keihin jets and it says slot head and hex head, which 1 am i getting? and it says pack of 5 so would i be getting 5 of the same jets in each pack?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
ok so am i ordering 3 different kinds of jets?f/r and pilot? im on my dealers website looking at the keihin jets and it says slot head and hex head, which 1 am i getting? and it says pack of 5 so would i be getting 5 of the same jets in each pack?
No not different kinds---Different sizes on the mains, like from 178, 180, 182, 185, 188 etc---No you don't want a package of 5 of the same----You shouldn't need any pilots either as the stock #40's that are in there should be just fine for what you are doing-----Look online Chaparal's, Cheap Cycle Parts---Also try Rocky Mountain ATV

Twin Air Power Flow Intake System | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Kenny

·
Registered
555 Posts
In one of the pm's I sent you I had a link to Rockymountain's main jets you need. Just use the drop down on that page to select which size you're ordering.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So if I were to do this I have and hmf slip on and the recommended jetting with that pipe is145 Rear Keihin Round : 142 Front Carb, does this sound right?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Besides blocking off the snorkel should I also block off the little vent tubes in the front

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't think the air flow would be as good so it would have to be jetted lower so i don't think you would have as much power. But it would be better in dusty areas but you can put an outerwear on the air filter for the 12 hole mod and you would be okay

·
Registered
219 Posts
In theory anyway I haven't tried any of those things so...

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
What's Wally world sorry I'm new

·
Registered
219 Posts
And also I'm in the process of doing all the DIY mods Im waiting for jets to come in then I will do all the carb stuff. Thanks for posting the newbie mod guide I've had my 04 kfx700 for about a year but was penny pinching now I'm getting into the mods

1 - 20 of 24 Posts