1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke it while stuck in a tree.
Got it off of the Prairie.

CANT [email protected]#$%^ GET IT OPEN.......SEE PIC

There is only one bolt i did not yet take off and its the one inside after you open up the left side i can see it in there but how do i get this thing apart?

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
First, I usually remove both axles and then take off the nut inside the end where the front drive shaft connects to the front diff.

Good luck with that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:confused:
Okay I must be dumb but how do you remove the axles?

When i look at them its a ball bearing style joint of some kind, I dont know how that comes apart. I was considering that the whole "cup" that surrounds it was pressed in from the inside and just trying to split it apart but i dont have my service manual yet and if they are not pressed i'll just endup ruining everthing. And on the other side that "cup" is external so that leads me to believe its not pressed in just on one side.

On a side note i did have a couple ball bearings come out so far which is fine but i also had a piece of whatever i broke come out too. Looks like a tiny piece off of a gear so hopefully a quick fix if i replace whatever gear is busted.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
It may be tricky to get the axles out now, you will need someone to help hold the diff. The inner joint plunges in and out, push the axle all the way in and pull out very quickly, It works on the same idea as a slide hammer. You have have to do it a bunch of times to get the axle to pop out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. That seemed like an idea since the other end just slid into the hub and the driveshaft also just slid in. But I've never done done this before and that shaft seemed too tight to just pull out. Will be out tonight after work.

On the other side can i try to prybar it off from the back side of that cup? Do I even need to take both axles off or can i get at the differential locking stuff with just the left side off?

·
Registered
711 Posts
It will be easier to work on with both axles out .If you put a pry bar behind the axle and pry while tapping the side with a hammer it might come out easier with the diff out of the quad.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Both pins and the ends of the shaft that hold in the 10 tooth bevel gears broke off (see pics) what would cause that to happen?

And i cant get the shaft to come out its jammed or something. Should i just hit it til it goes through? Hit it pretty hard already and it didnt really move more than 1/16 inch.

The two 16 tooth bevel gears and the one 10 tooth are all held in there right now and none of them will even move i tried sticking the one shaft and hub back on to try to twist it thinking that a piece of metal might be binding them and it wouldn't budge.

That shaft don't wanna come out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both those small gears are frozen solid on the shaft. Couldnt hammer it out, so i cut the middle out thinking it might push out from the center but it wont. I'd hate to have to replace those gears they seem to be $90 ea and the little shaft was only $7. I may take it in to a machine shop to have them try to get it out. I'd much preffer a 20 dollar parts order over a 200 dollar order so hopefully they can get it apart without ruining them.

If I do have to replace them does anybody have some spares around?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gears needed to be replaced. I think the oil was not lubricating properly and the shaft started to wear and welded itself to them. When i opened the case the oil that was in the center near the gears was more like sludge or grease than oil. I guess it needed to be changed. LOL

·
Registered
787 Posts
monsterquadmaniac rebuilds these diffs all the time, or he used to. Might check with him to see if he has any used parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts