Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It squeals like a pig while idling in gear. :ROFLMAO:

I was told by an expert here on the forum that you measure how far the belt sticks past the driven clutch rather than measuring the deflection.

The next shim combination makes the belt too loose. Its like this every time I install a new belt. After a few hundred miles the squeal lessens. And when it totally goes away I'm due for a new belt. o_O;):ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
It's just a fact that a belt that curls too tightly around the primary spindle has enough contact surface to grab enough to squeal. That is always the case with anything under 22mm and sometimes even deflections at 22mm..(which is the minimum BTW) because when everything is heated, that deflection reduces to 21 and less. If your deflection is 23mm cold and the spindle is smooth...and the bottom of the belt has no shiny spots, it will not squeal..hot or cold. However..if you just sit there, stopped in gear running and let it ride on that belt long enough to make a shiny spot, it will squeal there. So, rule of thumb- target deflection should be 23-24mm and never just sit there in gear while shooting the sh*t. At least put it in neutral so it can rotate a little.

CV-Tech put a bearing there so they don't have to worry about theirs. I wonder when Kawasaki will take the hint. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looks pretty close to the way I adjust mine....

Reactions: rubiranch

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
Nothing beats the correct way..the way the manual says:

And nothing like having the tools to accurately measure that deflection either. Precision is critical. Just a millimeter one way or another can make a big difference. I always used and got great results with this. Take the reading, lock it in place, then take it to the bench for measurement.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just a fact that a belt that curls too tightly around the primary spindle has enough contact surface to grab enough to squeal. That is always the case with anything under 22mm and sometimes even deflections at 22mm..(which is the minimum BTW) because when everything is heated, that deflection reduces to 21 and less. If your deflection is 23mm cold and the spindle is smooth...and the bottom of the belt has no shiny spots, it will not squeal..hot or cold. However..if you just sit there, stopped in gear running and let it ride on that belt long enough to make a shiny spot, it will squeal there. So, rule of thumb- target deflection should be 23-24mm and never just sit there in gear while shooting the sh*t. At least put it in neutral so it can rotate a little.

CV-Tech put a bearing there so they don't have to worry about theirs. I wonder when Kawasaki will take the hint. :)
I quit measuring the deflection years ago. All I do is take the old belt off, dissemble clean a lube the driven clutch and put a new belt on. I never change the shims. I do this every January.

As in the video it start squealing the moment I put it in gear and it goes away as soon as I touch the throttle and I never just let it idle in gear. I can't take the squeal. :ROFLMAO:

And it squeals hot and cold.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing beats the correct way..the way the manual says:

And nothing like having the tools to accurately measure that deflection either. Precision is critical. Just a millimeter one way or another can make a big difference. I always used and got great results with this. Take the reading, lock it in place, then take it to the bench for measurement.

If I change the shims its either too tight or too loose. No matter what. I have all the available shims.

Here's the belt I took off, roughly 1500 miles and the engagement was way too high.

The new belt feels perfect for me.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Mine
I quit measuring the deflection years ago. All I do is take the old belt off, dissemble clean a lube the driven clutch and put a new belt on. I never change the shims. I do this every January.

As in the video it start squealing the moment I put it in gear and it goes away as soon as I touch the throttle and I never just let it idle in gear. I can't take the squeal. :ROFLMAO:

And it squeals hot and cold.
squeals hot or cold also and I never leave it in gear when im stopped.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Glad to hear mines not the only one. :)
Yea if we are ever stopped for then a minute I usually shut it off anyways I never let it run long while stopped

Reactions: rubiranch

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea if we are ever stopped for then a minute I usually shut it off anyways I never let it run long while stopped
Neither do I.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts